sports baseball

IU wins regional, will face Florida State

Baseball

The IU baseball team’s attempt to advance further in a historic season came down to the right arm of a closer having a record-setting season.

Ryan Halstead came in a little earlier than usual, but got the job done Sunday at Bart Kaufman Field.

Halstead struck out Matt Wollenzin with the bases loaded in the top of the sixth inning to preserve the Hoosiers’ three-run lead in a 6-1 win over Austin Peay to capture the Bloomington regional championship and advance to a NCAA Super Regional against Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla.

The team swept the Bloomington regional, 3-0. IU had won one game in the NCAA Tournament coming into the season.

The Hoosiers (46-14) will take on the Seminoles in a best-of-three series next weekend for a spot in the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

This is IU’s first-ever regional championship in a season full of accomplishments, having won both the Big Ten regular season and tournament championships while setting a single-season record for wins. It is also the first time a Big Ten team has won a regional since Michigan did so in 2007.

“It seems like every step we take we’re making history for Indiana baseball,” IU Coach Tracy Smith said. “It’s fun, that was certainly a memorable evening for us.”

Halstead worked the final 3.1 innings, striking out two batters in the ninth before Dylan Riner ended the game with a foul-out down the left-field line that Dustin DeMuth tracked down and caught basket-style near the left field clubhouse.

Halstead, typically reserved for the ninth inning, entered the game with the Hoosiers in a tight jam in the top of the sixth.

The Governors (47-15) loaded the bases with one out on singles by Jordan Hankins and Harper and a walk by Cody Hudson, ending freshman starter Will Coursen-Carr’s outing.

In came righty Luke Harrison, who forced in a run by walking Michael Davis, cutting IU’s lead to 4-1. Harrison then struck out

Torress before Halstead came in to shut the door and leave the bases loaded.
It was a huge play on defense in the top of the second that kept the Governors’ offense at bay and prevented them from tying the game.

With one out and runners on first and second, P.J. Torres hit a ball to deep center field that senior center fielder Justin Cureton made a sensational catch on to rob Torres of a three-run homer. Cureton scaled the wall and brought the ball back from beyond the fence, and then got it back quickly into the infield.

“I’ve already referred to it as ‘the catch,’” Smith said. “I don’t think people appreciate how tough of a defensive play that is.”

The relay throw went to second, but Reed Harper, who walked with one out, got back in time. Second baseman Chad Clark then saw Cody Hudson straying too far off first and fired over to Sam Travis to complete the 8-4-3 double play and end the inning.

“I had a bead on the ball,” Cureton said. “I just made the play. I let my athleticism take over.”

IU jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first on a solo shot to right by Kyle Schwarber and RBI singles by Michael Basil and Casey Smith.

The Hoosiers added a run in the fifth on an RBI-double by DeMuth and two in the sixth on a two-run error by Harper at shortstop.

Coursen-Carr fired 5.1 innings, giving up one earned run on five hits with three strikeouts and four walks to earn the win. He gave up no extra base hits.

IU’s Sam Travis was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Bloomington regional. The first baseman had two hits including a double and a run scored in Sunday’s game.

Five other Hoosiers were named to the Regional All-Tournament team in addition to Travis: Clark, Schwarber, Cureton, Smith and sophomore designated hitter Scott Donley.

IU is now scheduled to play Florida State in the NCAA Super Regionals next weekend.