Get to know the IMU

Sleeping Room

The Indiana Memorial Union can seem like a labyrinth, but there’s mystery and history within its walls beyond the  confusing passageways.
The next time you’re standing in line at Starbucks, consider that about 50 years ago, you would have been ordering from the Biddle Hotel’s front desk. Or the next time you’re by the “Fire of Hospitality” in the South Lounge, think about how it’s been burning since 1939.
The Union is full of secrets, and Thomas Simmons, IMU associate director, is one of its keepers. These are just a few of the sections.

1. KP Williams Dining Room

Named for the distinguished mathematics professor and founder of IU’s formal ROTC program, the Kenneth Powers Williams Dining Room is nestled within the Union’s third floor. Because it is so tiny and compact, the room’s antique table seats only 10 guests.

2. Federal Room

Hidden behind a nondescript, closed door is the Federal Room, an ornate colonial dining room and parlor. Instead of wallpaper, the parlor is lined with woodblock prints of French origin that depict early scenes of American history. On the wall hangs the “Unfinished Portrait.” It is a painting of Mary Burnet, who is known for her contributions to the art movement in Indiana during the early 1900s, Simmons said. She received an honorary master’s degree from IU in 1933.

3. The buried rifle range

Directly beneath Dunn Meadow Café is the now dormant rifle range of the IMU, complete with a gun vault and targets. It was formerly used by students, especially those in the ROTC.

4. Alumni Hall dressing rooms

In the 1930s and ‘40s, this was home to IU’s theatrical performances. The stage in Alumni Hall is just the front door to the maze of outdated dressing rooms and neglected stairwells.

5. Memorial Room

The room outside Starbucks hosts the two oldest artifacts in the building: two stained glass windows, one of which dates back to 1920 and was donated by Hoosier novelist Booth Tarkington’s home. At the heart of the Memorial Room is the Golden Book that records the names of the men and women of IU who served in the wars of the Republic.

6. The Student Activities Tower, eighth floor

The eighth floor of the Student Activities Tower, the summit of the Union only accessible via stairs, is home to the Fletchall Room and the Bryan Room. The Union Board used to conduct meetings in the Fletchall Room in the 1930s, but they can now be rented out to any student organization willing to make the trek.