Landmarks on campus

Rosewell

Where to find IU's most famous statues, buildings, and monumentsand the traditions behind them.

DUNN FAMILY CEMETARIES
Where Adjacent to Beck Chapel and in front of Foster Residence Center
The legend When IU bought the land from the Dunn family there were three stipulations. Their family plots could not be moved, which is why there are two cemeteries on campus. There are no live burials anymore, and most of the plots are recognizable IU names.
The second stipulation was that for every tree IU cut down to construct a building, one had to be planted in its place. Herman B Wells later said for every tree cut down, two trees must be replanted.
 The final stipulation was that IU could not move the Dunn family’s “Sweetheart Tree,” which currently stands inside the chemistry building.

HERMAN B WELLS STATUE

Where Sitting on a bench on the west side of campus, near the Sample Gates
The legend Herman B Wells was one of the greatest presidents in IU’s history. At freshmen orientation, parents are told if they shake Wells’ outstretched hand, their student will graduate in four years.
Because the sculptor was a University of Minnesota grad, under the brim of Wells’ hat is inscribed “Go Gophers.”

THE ROSE WELL HOUSE
Where In Old Crescent, near Wylie and Owen halls and Dunn Woods
The legend Built in 1908, the Rose Well House was originally part of the old College Building. Legend states that an IU female is not an official co-ed until she is kissed under the house for the twelve strokes of midnight. Another myth is that a couple will be together forever if they kiss at midnight on Valentine’s Day.

SHOWALTER FOUNTAIN

Where In the Fine Arts Plaza, in front of the IU Auditorium and between the Lilly Library and School of Fine Arts
The legend The fountain depicts the Birth of Venus. On the night of IU’s last NCAA championship in 1987, students came to celebrate at Showalter Fountain and stole all of the fish that surround her.
Four of the original fish were found, and although another one was recast in spring 2011, the fifth original fish continues to elude the IU administration.

BRYAN HOUSE

Where Next to Ballantine Hall, behind Delta Gamma
The legend The Bryan House is typically the home of IU’s president. President Michael McRobbie and his wife, Laurie Burns McRobbie, use the house as an office. A house cat, Hermie, is known to be a protector of the grounds.
The Bryan House also hosts a reception for incoming freshmen and outgoing seniors to talk to the administration about their IU life. The landscape around the house reflects the theme of the president at the time. McRobbie’s theme is sustainability.

BECK CHAPEL

Where Across from Ballantine Hall and the Chemistry Building
The legend Completed in 1956, Beck Chapel is IU’s non-denominational chapel on campus. It holds copies of the Bible, Quran and Torah, and is open 24/7 during finals week.
Many IU sweethearts marry inside, but the wait list is one year, said Allison Williams, reservationist at the chapel.