sports women's soccer

Women's soccer announces spring schedule

Last season, the IU women’s soccer team played all four of their spring season contests at home against other in-state schools. The script for the 2013 spring season looks markedly different under new head coach Amy Berbary.

IU Athletics released the spring schedule for the women’s soccer team Monday.

Two of the Hoosiers’ four collegiate opponents reached the 2012 NCAA Tournament.

IU will conclude its spring season at 7 p.m. April 20 in Indianapolis against the Haitian National Team at IUPUI’s Kuntz Memorial Soccer Stadium.

The Hoosiers will open their spring season at 1 p.m. Saturday in Knoxville, Tenn., against the University of Tennessee. The Volunteers posted a 14-5-3 mark last season and reached the NCAA Tournament. The University of Miami (Ohio) RedHawks went on the road and defeated the Volunteers 3-2 in overtime in the first round.

The Alumni Game will follow at 1 p.m. March 23 at the women’s practice field on the corner of 10th Street and the Indiana 46 Bypass.

It is the only match that will be played in Bloomington.

On April 6, IU will play a doubleheader in the Cincinnati area, taking on the RedHawks at 11 a.m. and the Xavier Musketeers at 4 p.m.

Six days later, IU travels to the University of Louisville. The Cardinals were a four-loss squad a year ago that fell to the University of South Florida in the Big East Tournament quarterfinals, as the host Bulls defeated the Cardinals via penalty kicks, 4-3.

Louisville was not selected to play in the NCAA Tournament.

— Micah McVicker