sports women's soccer

IU hires new women's soccer coach

Amy Berbary

Wednesday afternoon, IU announced a new women’s soccer head coach.

Amy Berbary, the associate head coach at Auburn in 2012 and an assistant at the school from 2008-2012, has been hired as the third head coach in the history of the IU program, effective Friday, Feb. 8.

"We are thrilled to have recruited a coach of Amy's caliber to lead our women's soccer program," said vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics Fred Glass in a press release. "She has been successful on the biggest stage as both a player and a coach, is committed to an exciting and effective style of play, is a proven recruiter with strong Midwest ties and has the drive and passion to move Indiana University Women's Soccer to one of the best programs in the Big Ten."

During her tenure with the Tigers as an assistant coach, Berbary served as the team’s recruiting coordinator and helped lead the team to five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances.

The National Soccer Coaches Association of America also named her the 2012 South Atlantic Regional Assistant Coach of the Year.

Berbary spent four years at Dayton before spending five years at Auburn. She also worked with the U.S. Olympic Development Program from 2005-2011 as a staff coach.

She will take over an IU program that went 9-9-1 in 2012 and missed an NCAA Tournament appearance for the fifth straight season.

“Working as an assistant coach for the past nine seasons has shown me the kind of hard work and commitment that it takes to lead a high-caliber program and help each and every person associated with the program maximize their potential,” Berbary said in the release.

Berbary replaces former IU Coach Mick Lyon as the leader of the team, after he retired on Nov. 28, 2012. Lyon, who spent 11 seasons with the Hoosiers, was the longest tenured coach in school history.