sports baseball

Baseball travels for third series of the year

As the Big Ten favorite, it raises expectations of the team this season. The Hoosiers (3-2) have lofty goals when they travel to Myrtle Beach, S.C., for their third series of the year.

“I would say we’re expecting to take the sweep this weekend,” sophomore catcher Kyle Schwarber said.

However, winning is not the most important thing for his team, IU Coach Tracy Smith said.

“The game for us is how well we play,” Smith said. “It’s kind of like the first weekend. We didn’t walk away with the sweep, we were 2-1, but I was pleased with the way we played outside of one inning. So I more dictate my feelings on how we play.”

IU kicks off the weekend against West Virginia (3-4) Friday. The Hoosiers will have to deal with outfielder Jacob Rice, who won the Big 12 newcomer of the week this week.
The junior transfer batted .563 and recorded three stolen bases this weekend.

On Saturday, the Hoosiers will play host of the tournament against Coastal Carolina (3-3), who sophomore infielder Sam Travis sees as the biggest threat this weekend.

“I definitely believe Coastal has had some really good success the past few years,” Travis said. “We’re going to go in and play our game, relaxed and confident to get the W.”

Schwarber played summer ball this year in Cape Cod and saw a few Coastal Carolina players, so he knows the most about the Chanticleers.

“Coastal has had a lot of success, they are a pretty good ball club,” Schwarber said. “They have some good players and some good talent. The other clubs, we really don’t know that much about.”

Last year Coastal Carolina went 42-19 and lost to Clemson in the NCAA Regionals.

They have had a tradition of winning the last few years, with an average of 48 wins per season the last six years and eclipsing the 50-win mark three times during that stretch.

During the last six years for the Hoosiers, they have averaged 28 wins a season.

When IU plays UMBC (0-0) on Sunday, this will be the Retrievers first series of the year, something that will benefit the Hoosiers, Schwarber said.

“I definitely think we have the advantage,” Schwarber said. “This is their first series so you don’t know how they’ve been practicing and I don’t even know if they’ve gotten outside. So it’s definitely an advantage for us.”

Last season, the Retrievers went 10-42, and struggled in the American East conference, going just 2-22 in league play.

For IU, Smith said the first time they got onto a field wasn’t until their first game of the season due to the cold weather. But UMBC’s inexperience will not be in the minds of his players come game time.

“All the teams in that tournament, them included, are good programs,” Smith said. “If you don’t bring your best you’re going to lose, so we’re not taking anything for granted.”