sports men's soccer

Konstanski drafted by Fire

spKonstanski Carousel

Before Bloomington native Caleb Konstanski saw his name on the 2013 Major League Soccer Supplemental Draft tracker, the former IU defender received a text message from IU junior midfielder Jacob Bushue.

Bushue saw his teammate’s name appear on the tracker and sent Konstanski a text saying the Chicago Fire selected him in the third round at No. 48 overall.

Konstanski said he was not close to a computer at the time and that he learned of his own selection through Bushue’s message.

“I feel very good about it,” Konstanski said. “I’m extremely blessed. I know it’s going to be a lot of hard work, but I’m excited for it.”

Konstanski became the 42nd Hoosier drafted into MLS and the 10th player picked since IU Coach Todd Yeagley became head coach Dec. 18, 2009.

“We’re obviously really happy for Caleb,” Yeagley said. “He had a tremendous career here at Indiana, capping off an excellent senior campaign with a national championship. It’s nice to see him, a local product, get this opportunity to play at the next level. I know he’ll put everything he has into it and make the most of it.”

Yeagley said the number of his players drafted during his brief tenure is a credit to player development.

“It’s a great reflection upon the program,” he said. “The coaches in Major League Soccer have seen and know the qualities that come out of the players that are here. It’s a great reflection upon the program and how hard our players worked to develop their game. The fruits of their labor are these opportunities.”

Konstanski’s MLS opportunity comes from an organization within driving distance of his hometown. The Fire play their home games in the southwest Chicago suburb of Bridgeview, Ill., at Toyota Park, a 234 mile drive from Bill Armstrong Stadium.

“It’s going to be great,” Konstanski said. “I wanted to stay close to home. That means a lot, my family being close. My girlfriend, she’s here for another semester. If I was going to play, I wanted to be close.

“I wasn’t going to be picky, but it worked out very good. Chicago’s not that far of a drive. I’m very happy about it.”

Konstanski said he’s been working out every day and sometimes twice a day to prepare himself for this chance. He admitted simulating game situations is difficult, but Strength Coach Jason Robbins has been putting him through workouts.

There is little difference between being a supplemental pick and being selected in the MLS SuperDraft, Konstanski said.

“Everybody has to work for (a roster spot),” he said. “If you get in the SuperDraft, you have more title to your name. I’m definitely going to have to work harder to prove my spot, but that’s something I’ve had to do my whole life. There’s nothing new in that department.”

Yeagley praised Konstanski’s work ethic, noting that he’s passed many players along the way including athletes who had an initially higher pedigree than Konstanski.

“Here we are four years later, and he’s got an opportunity that very few have,” Yeagley said.