Adverse factors might affect blood donor turnout

Illness, inclement weather among reasons American Red Cross struggles to attract students

ciBloodDrive Carousel

Amid illness and inclement weather, the American Red Cross is stepping up its efforts to attract blood donors in January.

The Red Cross made January National Blood Donor Month to encourage healthy donors to help the organization meet its 17,000 pints-per-day quota.

“It’s a nation-wide dip, and it’s a trend we see from year to year,” said Katy Maloy, a Red Cross program manager for the River Valley Blood Services region, which encompasses Kentucky, southern Indiana and south-east Illinois.

It might be more difficult for college students to donate because they often have to walk through rain, snow or freezing temperatures to blood drives on campus, said Karen Stecher, national Red Cross spokeswoman.

In a corner of Wright Quad’s Formal Lounge Wednesday evening, a sign propped up on a table at the entrance to a blood drive warned people to skip donating if they didn’t feel 100-percent healthy.

“Most of our donors who are sick don’t even try,” said Dana Ferguson, a Red Cross
employee who was in charge of the blood drive.

Ferguson said the main reason they have to turn potential donors away is due to low iron levels.

While low iron levels aren’t necessarily related to seasonal sickness, they often drop when someone is on the verge of coming down with a cold or flu.

Ferguson also said she tends to see fewer donors at sites during the holiday season as schedules become busy.

While the Red Cross usually has T-shirt giveaways or drawings during December, they often don’t do anything over-the-top in January to attract donors during the month.

The combination of busy schedules, winter weather and illnesses affects the numbers of donations the Red Cross receives.

Outside the donation area’s white folding walls, IU freshman Raine Cole began layering herself with winter clothing before leaving the Formal Lounge.

She slipped her North Face jacket over her newly bandaged arm.

She said she’s been donating blood regularly for the past six months and tries to stop at a blood drive whenever she sees one on campus.

“I donated today because my grandpa just got blood,” she said.

Cole said she’s never had to refuse donating because of illness.

As flu season in Indiana is kicking into high gear,  Ferguson said she expected a normal turnout for the Wednesday blood drive.

Ferguson said she typically sees about 25 donors during a blood drive at Wright. Mid-way through the drive, 20 people had already donated.

“IU’s usually pretty good,” she said.

Interested in donating?

Visit one of the blood drives on and off campus this week.

• Noon to 6 p.m. today at the Bloomington Donation Center, 1600 W. Third St.
  • 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Evans Scholars house, 1075 N. Jordan Ave.
  • Noon to 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Bloomington Donation Center
  • 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Kelley School of Business, sponsored by Delta Sigma Pi
  • Noon to 6 p.m. Thursday at the Bloomington Donation Center
  • 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Ballantine Hall