Academy Award-winning costumer Acheson comes next week

He may be responsible for Tobey Maguire’s Spidey suit and Ben Affleck’s Daredevil outfit, but costume designer James Acheson’s repertoire extends far beyond
superheroes.

The British designer has won three Academy Awards for his work on “The Last Emperor,” “Restoration” and “Dangerous Liaisons,” and he will give a lecture on Jan. 17 at the IU Cinema titled “Dressing Movies and Costuming Superheroes.” During the talk, Acheson plans to discuss the process and history of his craft, while clearing up a few misconceptions along the way.

“‘Costume designer’ is a strange phrase,” Acheson said. “It conjures up Halloween, fancy dress, disguises. And that’s not what we do.”

This will be IU Cinema’s first costume designer and the beginning of this year’s Jorgensen Lecture Series, IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said. He said he believes Acheson’s visit has value on multiple levels.

“The public lecture is a great opportunity for the community to have access to Acheson’s inside look at filmmaking,” Vickers said.

He said Acheson will also visit a fashion design class to give select students the chance to have a more intimate discussion with him.

Despite Acheson’s recent superhero endeavors and his involvement in the upcoming “Man of Steel” movie, he has more of a background in theater design.

“It’s a funny old job,” he said. “Along with hookers and doctors, costume designers are the crazy people who say, ‘All right, take your clothes off.’”

Acheson currently teaches at the Toi Whakaari New Zealand Drama School in Wellington, New Zealand, his city of residence. He is in the process of writing a book of costume designs that will include chapters full of colorful anecdotes from his experiences. He recalls being at the Oscars when he won best costume design for 1995’s “Restoration.”

“It’s very nerve-wracking,” he said. “You have to sit there not knowing. I might have to get off my seat, kiss my wife goodbye, check that my fly’s not open and get up in front of a billion people.”

He remembers being greeted by presenters Naomi Campbell and Pierce Brosnan. Brosnan even invited him to the Oscar after-parties.

“It’s kind of like a dream to be invited by James Bond to go in a helicopter ride to the many after-parties,” Acheson said. “It’s dream-like.”

Though he has had much success in his work, Acheson said he doesn’t have any specific training.

“I don’t know how to cut or drape clothes. I did more theater design,” Acheson said. “I’m something of a charlatan.”

Rather than skills, Acheson said he hopes to impart his enthusiasm and spirit to the students when he gives his lecture.

“You never know when you’re being noticed, and often people will be attracted to you for your personality and conscientiousness before they notice your talent,” Acheson said.

He said he has been very fortunate in his career.

“If I can do it, you can do it,” he said. “I hope I can inspire (students).”