sports men's soccer

Doody, McKain critical in IU goals

HOOVER, Ala. — In IU Coach Todd Yeagley’s system, the left and right defensive backs push forward and play crosses into the box.

Sophomore Patrick Doody and junior Matt McKain made passes into the box that led to game-winning goals in each of IU’s last four games.

“Whether it’s through service, through support, Patrick and Matt in particular have had a tremendous tournament,” Yeagley said. “They’ve been good for us all year but really have come together in the Notre Dame game in particular. Those two, where we needed them to be really strong based on that matchup, were fantastic.”

Against Georgetown, Doody served the ball to the back post, where sophomore forward Eriq Zavaleta won the ball two yards inside goalkeeper Tomas Gomez’s six-yard box, and headed it back to the middle of goal, where junior midfielder Nikita Kotlov tapped it in to the open net.

“Patrick Doody deserves a lot of the credit,” Kotlov said. “As you can tell by the last three games, he’s assisted on a cross. This game was just like that.”

Against Notre Dame, McKain, 25 yards from goal on the right side, crossed to Kotlov 11 yards in front of goal. Kotlov skipped the ball on to Zavaleta, waiting at the far post. The Westfield, Ind., native converted, and McKain earned his second assist of the season.

A week later, Doody’s cross led to Zavaleta’s goal to help IU defeat North Carolina.

Doody again contributed the pass that reached freshman forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen on the right side, 15 yards from goal. The Goshen, Ind., native scored his second goal of the NCAA Tournament, and the Hoosiers won their second consecutive 1-0 game and consequently ended Creighton’s season.

Doody, however, did not earn an assist in either game. He’s not concerned.

“We’re getting the ball out wide,” Doody said. “I just had another open look today and got it in the box, and Eriq and Nikita did the rest. Great stuff.”

Zavaleta said Saturday he approached Doody and McKain before the Hoosiers’ match against the Bluejays.

“‘Listen, you two playing at your best is really what’s carried us and what makes us our best,’” Zavaleta recalled saying to the duo. “Those guys do such a good job of making other teams worry about them, which opens up space, or they put in the balls they have been. You can’t score goals if you don’t get service, and that’s been evident this tournament.”

Zavaleta said Doody and McKain have done great work for the team all season.

“Especially the games that we played well this year, it’s been really evident when they play well,” Zavaleta said. “Their services really unbalance this team, because it’s not all we do, but it’s very important to our attack.”