sports men's soccer

Defense proves vital in IU’s championship run

HOOVER, Ala. — After the 1-0 Georgetown win Dec. 9, Jerry Yeagley, “The Godfather” of IU soccer, as some call him, had an explanation as to why the Hoosiers saw such success in the postseason.

“Of all four teams in the Final Four, Indiana has given up the fewest goals in the season,” he said. “That is including now, also. Defense truly does win championships.”

The former IU coach would know, given the six stars he put on the IU soccer legacy during his tenure.

A foundation to that defensive unit could not have been shaped better from senior co-captains goalkeeper Luis Soffner and defender Caleb Konstanski, IU Coach and Jerry’s son Todd Yeagley said.

“We said it all along we had to be very good defensively,” Yeagley said. “That is from front to back, and with Luis and his growth, what he’s given us is outstanding. He gave our team so much calm and composure and confidence.”

Soffner and the rest of the Hoosiers shut out their final three opponents of the year to win their eighth championship. Yeagley said the entire back line helped in the effort.

“Caleb and (sophomore midfielder) Kerel (Bradford) had an unbelievable weekend,” he said. “(Sophomore midfielder) Patrick Doody, (junior defender) Matt McKain and (sophomore midfielder) Dylan Lax in front of them — that five in particular was fantastic that whole weekend. Those players had to have the performance they had for us to be the champions today.”

Soffner said the fight in his team was the edge that this year had as opposed to the previous three he has played in an IU jersey.

“All 10 guys, including me, came together,” he said. “That fight, just not letting the ball into the net was our whole mentality. We knew that if we got one goal, we would be OK, because our defense would keep everything out. From front to back, we had great team defense, and it paid off for the win.”

During one play in the game, the ball took a weird hop over Soffner’s head. As he turned to chase it, he said he noticed Konstanski was already there, waiting to head the ball off the goal line.  

It was this type of camaraderie, Soffner said, that led to the shutouts and the win.

“You could just tell from that moment on that we were not letting that ball go into that net for the rest of the match,” he said. “Caleb had his head up to the post, and knowing the whole game he was in front of me relaying messages was comforting. He’s been a great leader in the field all year.”

In Soffner’s final five games of his IU career, the St. Louis native let in only two goals. His final three were shutouts.

“This year, to go out like this and end my career at Indiana with my last game on top as a champion is the best feeling ever,” he said. “I haven’t stopped smiling since Xavier, and I’m so excited and proud of our team to hang in there and keep the fight going.”