Hoosiers look for first Big Ten win against struggling Fighting Illini

IU v. MSU Football

For the IU football team, the 2012 season has consisted of many what ifs.

Now on a five-game losing streak, the Hoosiers have blown three fourth-quarter leads during that span.

Saturday, IU (2-5, 0-3) will head to Champaign, Ill., to find a way to snap that streak against an Illinois (2-5, 0-3) team during its homecoming weekend.

“They’re like us in looking hard for a win,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “It will be a tough battle and a difficult challenge, but this team needs to start winning.”

Since the Hoosiers’ 45-6 Sept. 8 win against Massachusetts, late-game opportunities have come and gone.

Against Ball State, Willie Snead’s catch at the IU 25-yard line set up a game-winning field goal for the Cardinals as time expired.

Against Michigan State, the Hoosiers failed to maintain a 13-point halftime lead and lost 31-27.

Last week against Navy, up 30-21 with only six minutes remaining in the game, IU again found a way to lose.

The Hoosiers have been close to winning many games. They have not been able to get the job done in those situations.

“It’s just right there,” senior center Will Matte said. “You can almost taste it. When you look back, you think ‘what if, what if,’ but I’m proud of the way we continue to build.”

In defeats this year, the Hoosiers are being outscored 199-174, an average of losing by five points per game.

In addition, coaches acknowledged the team is much closer than last year to success.

Last year, IU was outscored 427-219 in its losses. Offensive coordinator Seth Littrell said the Hoosiers of this season have taken a big step forward.

“We’ve been one play away from winning a bunch of football games,” Littrell said. “We’ve got to start figuring out a way how to make that one play.”

With the direction, first-year Head Coach Tim Beckman, the Fighting Illini is winless in conference play, allowing 37 points per game while scoring only seven per game, ranking ninth and last in Big Ten play, respectively.

With Illinois’ offense and defense both struggling, the Hoosiers said they are aware they will need to find their killer instinct Saturday.

Littrell said this game will be a great opportunity to get back on track in 2012.

“You want to be able to finish off teams,” Littrell said. “We just have to continue to make plays against Illinois for the entire game, and good things will happen.”