Police arrest couple for scuffle behind library

A man was reportedly tackled off his bike and hit in the face and scrotum sometime before 9 p.m. Sunday near the Monroe County Public Library.

James D. Washburn, 28, was riding his bike from Peoples Park, where he had been with his wife, when the wife followed and tackled him off his bike, Bloomington Police Department Lt. Bill Parker said.

Washburn told his wife, Amber F. Richardson, 21, he had other business to attend to and left the park.

An individual acquainted with the two told Richardson that Washburn was on his way to see another woman, Parker said.

After being tackled off his bike, Washburn allegedly struck Richardson in the face.
Parker said Richardson then struck Washburn back. The two fell to the ground in a brawl, Parker said.

The blow to Washburn’s face broke his glasses and, at some point, Richardson forcefully gripped Washburn’s scrotum.

As Richardson and Washburn continued to fight on the ground outside the back of the library, Washburn bit Richardson and Richardson responded by stimulating a pressure point in Washburn’s neck, Parker said.

Bloomington police responded to the scene after the incident was reported from the Bloomington Fire Department, located at 300 E. Fourth St.

Richardson, who told police she is pregnant, reported abdominal pain after the scuffle and Washburn denied ever striking the woman, Parker said. Washburn also told police the woman lied about the pregnancy.

Both individuals face preliminary charges of domestic battery. Washburn faces a Class C felony assault charge for striking a pregnant woman.

­— Michael Majchrowicz