Sen. Vi Simpson announced as Gregg's running mate

Vi Simpson

Democratic gubernatorial candidate and former Indiana House Speaker John Gregg announced Tuesday he has selected Indiana Senate Democratic Leader Vi Simpson of Ellettsville as his running mate.

“Vi Simpson is an outstanding choice for lieutenant governor, one who will be a great partner in my efforts to get the state back on track and back to work,” Gregg said in a press release. “She’s not only a seasoned leader who’s ready to govern; she also has a tremendous background in business advocacy, education and finance.”

Gregg said that Simpson has a vast knowledge of the state’s budget, tax structure and economic development programs.

“She has been a leader in forcing the current administration to own up to their numerous financial gaffes,” Gregg said.

Before being elected to the Senate in 1984, Simpson served as Monroe County Auditor. In 2008, she was elected Democrat Leader by the State Democrat Caucus.

While in the Senate, Simpson authored legislation creating Indiana’s Children’s Health Insurance Program, which has become a national model for delivering cost-effective health service to uninsured children, according to a press release. She also initiated the debate on tax restructuring and property tax reform, leading to legislation that revamped the state’s tax code.

“The time is right for a governor like John Gregg,” Simpson said in a press release.  “He wants to get things done for Hoosiers, and he wants to do it in a bipartisan way.  He not only understands the value of providing high-quality education to our young people, he knows that education is crucially important to our children’s and our state’s future success.”

Simpson said attracting companies that lead to job growth for Hoosiers will be at the forefront of her agenda. Social issues, she said, should remain on the “back burner” in November’s general election.

“There’s too much at stake to focus on anything other than getting our state back on track and back to work,” Simpson said.

If Indiana voters select Gregg and Simpson as the state's top-elected officials in the fall, Simpson will have to give up the Democratic nomination for her spot in the House.
In November, Gregg will run against Republican candidate Mike Pence, who is currently serving in the U.S. House of Representatives in Indiana’s sixth district.

Pence selected Sue Ellspermann as his running mate, who is a current member of the Indiana House of Representatives.

Throughout the week, Gregg will travel across the state to introduce his new running mate to Hoosier voters.

“This ticket sends the clear message that experience matters,” Dan Parker, Indiana Democratic Party chair, said in a press release. “Over the past eight years, we’ve lost thousands of jobs, watched our working dollar lose value, and had assaults on public education, women and working families. We need tested leaders  experienced leaders who understand Indiana government and are committed to Indiana first to get our state and our economy back on track; not those focused on the next election for the White House.”