Nude gunman released from hospital, could face attempted murder charge

Hamersley

The naked IU student who police say shot 32 rounds from a 9mm semi-automatic handgun at a house, parked cars and police officers in a neighborhood north of the IU campus was released from IU Health Bloomington Hospital Tuesday.

He had received surgery there after being shot twice in the legs by police.

Following his release from the hospital, 21-year-old Corey Joseph Hamersley — a junior at IU studying exercise science — was booked into the Monroe County Jail and faces preliminary charges of attempted murder, criminal recklessness, pointing a firearm, possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana.

At about 7 a.m. Friday, police responded to a call from a resident in the 300 block of East 15th Street reporting that a man was shooting a gun into the back door of their residence.

When police arrived, Hamersley was allegedly ordered to drop the gun but continued waving the weapon around, according to a release by BPD Cpt. Joe Qualters.

When Hamersley did not obey orders by police and allegedly shot at one of the officers, Qualters said police shot him in the legs, secured the weapon and took the student into custody after a brief struggle.

Hamersley sustained injuries to each of his legs from gunshot wounds, but no officers or bystanders were shot.

While in the hospital, Hamersley was under 24-hour guard by police from the time he was taken there for his injuries until he was released, Qualters said in a press release.

During an interview at the hospital, Hamersley allegedly acknowledged the encounter with police and was capable of identifying that he was shooting at officers because of their uniforms.

“He indicated that he thought about how ‘cool’ it would be to say he shot a cop,” Qualters said in the release. “He also acknowledged pointing a loaded weapon at the first officer, pulling the trigger and trying to shoot the officer in the chest.”

After obtaining a search warrant at Hamersley’s residence, police found LSD, hashish, marijuana and drug paraphernalia, which were seized from his bedroom, Qualters said.

The two officers who shot Hamersley, whose names have not been released by police, are currently on administrative leave until an internal investigation is complete. Qualters said the findings of the internal investigation should be available in the next few days.

Continue checking idsnews.com for further updates.