Local IU musical artists to perform for Riley Hospital for Children

Local IU music artists will show off their talents to raise money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals on Friday during dePHI the MUsic.

The annual event, sponsored by Phi Mu, will take place from 5:30 p.m. to midnight at BuffaLouie’s on South Indiana Avenue and will feature all-you-can-eat wings and live acoustic music. Money collected will directly benefit Riley Hospital for Children.

While the previous year’s event featured a karaoke competition instead of live music, sophomore and philanthropy chair Lierin Ehmke said having an acoustic music set will help bring a more laid-back feel to the event.

“I really kind of wanted to add like a different feel to this event and also to really showcase the talent that IU has to offer,” Ehmke said.

Phi Mu has already raised about $1,100 by selling pre-sale tickets and tank tops advertising the event. The tank tops are inspired by a Red Bull slogan and say, “Phi Mu gives you wings.” Ehmke said the tops were so popular she had to order more than expected, and the sorority has sold 50 to 70 so far.

Last year’s dePHI the MUsic raised $3,000 for Children’s Miracle Network. To accommodate this year’s attendees, Ehmke extended the length of the event, and a greater focus was placed on advertising for and marketing. Phi Mu members painted the North Jordan Avenue bridge and used Facebook profile pictures and trending topics on Twitter to raise awareness for the event. BuffaLouie’s windows were also painted to promote the concert.

Senior and philanthropy committee member Kaylee Baxter has been involved with the event in previous years and said she is glad to have a way to give back to the community.

“People come to college just to go to school, but I really like that I’ve been able to find an outlet where I can help other people,” Baxter said.

Ehmke said Children’s Miracle Network is the charity that Phi Mu represents, and because she and her fellow Phi Mu members are healthy, they work hard to help those who are less fortunate.

“One of our own is a Children’s Miracle Network kid, and so it is definitely very close to our hearts,” Ehmke said.

While Ehmke said she is preparing herself for the “craziness” of the event, she is most eager to see the reactions of the attendees.

“I’m really excited about it,” Ehmke said. “The thing that I’m most excited about is seeing how excited other people are about it.”