Sexual minority organizations on campus react to overturned Prop 8 decision

Tuesday afternoon, when Proposition 8 was declared unconstitutional in the state of California, a mass victory was declared for sexual-minority activists and advocates around the country.

Many of those affiliated with support and advocate groups, such as the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services and the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Equality  group, celebrated the decision, which will more than likely eventually work its way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Members including former SAGE President Rick Stark said this is the kind of attention the case needs.

Stark announced the decision that is now being heard around the country to audiences on his social networking accounts.

“FEDERAL COURT RULES PROP 8 STILL UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!!!!!!” Stark wrote in a status update.

Although the decision is being regarded as a victory for those affected in the state of California, Stark said affected individuals residing in Indiana will have a harder time reaching the same point, as there is currently a potential amendment to the Indiana constitution that would bar gay marriage.

“Since we’re in a state where it’s never been an option, we can’t do much at this point,” Stark said. “It does appear to give us better position than what we had before.”

Stark, an advocate for gay rights, is an active voice in the battle for individuals belonging to the sexual minority trying to establish equality across the spectrum. He said there is really no action to be taken from this point other than to remain idle until the presidential election in the fall.

“(We’re) playing the waiting game, doing some networking and doing what we can,” Stark said.

Similarly, Doug Bauder, director of GLBT SSS said that, as far as being proactive is concerned, little can directly be done at this point.

“I’m sorry it’s such a methodical process,” Bauder said. “The good news of this is that we learn to ask the right questions in the process.”

Bauder said aides to the University are working to keep the measure from coming to the statehouse floor and that “supportive Republicans and Democrats do not want to see it pass.

“I appreciate the effort of the administrators working behind the doors,” Bauder said. “Up to this point, it’s been somewhat effective. It’s hard to read the climate right now.”

Bauder stressed much of the success of positive turnouts in current movements and the removal of the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy had a lot to do with the efforts of public figures such as prominent politicians and celebrities.

He said that while he appreciated and respected the initiatives and advocating from students, they are not the individuals who will put a face on the matter.

“I don’t have that prominence. The students don’t have that prominence. There are a number of people asking for this,” Bauder said. “The LGBT community doesn’t have a Martin Luther King.”

Bauder said someone who can be taken seriously by political leaders or educators is needed under the current circumstances to take their fight to the next level.

“We’re going to be debating this in Indiana for a while,” Bauder said.