IU senior to study at Cambridge

Scholar

When senior John Brown found out he was awarded the 2012 Gates Cambridge scholarship, he yelled.

“I think my whole neighborhood probably heard me,” Brown said. “I was very
excited.”

The award — a highly competitive full-tuition scholarship and the equivalent of a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University — will allow Brown to attend the University of Cambridge, located in Cambridge, England. While there, Brown plans to receive a Master of Advanced Study in pure mathematics.

In 2000, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation donated $210 million to the University of Cambridge to set up the Gates Cambridge Trust. There are 90 full-tuition scholarships awarded each year; 40 go to U.S. citizens and 50 to international students.

Brown started the application process in October 2011 when he sent in a regular application to Cambridge. To apply for the scholarship, he had to send in an extra letter of recommendation.

“Their criteria for giving the scholarship is different from the admission criteria for Cambridge,” Brown said. “Getting into the math program is essentially based solely on mathematical qualifications, while the Gates is based much more on their own criteria.” 

According to the Gates Cambridge Scholar website, the scholarship is awarded on the following criteria: intellectual ability, leadership capacity, desire to use knowledge to contribute to society and fit with the programs offered at Cambridge.

“There’s kind of an extra part to it than just applying for Cambridge,” Brown said.
All candidates shortlisted for the award are required to attend an interview with a Trust official, two academics and a past Gates Cambridge award recipient.

At IU, Brown is studying mathematics and English. He is a member of the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity and used to write a weekly column for the opinion section of the Indiana Daily Student.

“We’re incredibly proud,” said Mark Land, associate vice president of University Communications. “He’s had a very unique combination of interests, and he’s combining them in very interesting ways. This is a very prestigious scholarship, and we’re very proud that he’s going to be representing IU.”

Brown said he was very satisfied when he found out he had received the award.
“It’s a wonderful opportunity, and I’m really excited to be doing this,” Brown said. “It’s hard to put into words. It’s a huge relief knowing where I’m going to be next year, and I’m very happy with the amount of support from the University."