IU-Bloomington named among steady, growing campuses

Recent statistics released by the University have shown a spike in enrollment figures and an increase in the number of credit hours students are taking, setting records at three different IU campuses: IU-Bloomington, IU-East and IU-Kokomo.

“Our enrollment figures strongly indicate that IU continues to be a destination of choice for Hoosier students and students from across the nation and world,” Ryan Piurek of university communications said. “They are also testament to the quality of our world-class faculty and staff, as well as the diversity of our academic offerings.”

IU saw an increase in students from the 2010-2011 spring semester, with 23 more at IU-Bloomington, 373 at IU-East and 276 at IU-Kokomo. IU-Bloomington had an increase of 860 credit hours from the 2010-2011 spring semester.

IU-East Chancellor Nasser Paydar said the flexibility IU-East offers is what helped the school lead the University in enrollment records. IU-East has had 10 semesters of significant growth and increased its enrollment by 68 percent in the last 4 or 5 years.

“Having that type of consecutive growth, that’s really significant,” Paydar said.  “A large majority of our students stay in the state of Indiana, so as our students increase and our numbers go up, we feel like we are contributing to the economic development of the state.”