Independent Council recruits non-greek women

Senior Kristen Thomas said she initially thought greek life was something she wanted out of her college experience.

But when she went through recruitment and the rush process as a sophomore, she was unable to find a sorority where she felt she belonged.

Two and a half years later, Thomas is now the secretary of Independent Council, an organization that seeks to unite non-greek women on campus.

“This gives girls another option to greek life who decided it wasn’t for them after all, or girls who wanted to get involved with philanthropies and social events but didn’t get into a house or the house of their choice,” Independent Council President Lauren Kirlin said. “But anyone is welcome.”

Thomas said some of the organization’s 50 or so active members share similar experiences as far as the recruitment process is concerned for sororities, but not all girls on the council became involved because of their experience with recruitment.

The organization first started on Butler University’s campus in 2008. Independent Council made its way to the IU campus in 2009, modeled after Butler’s charter group.

Kirlin said there are a number of similar characteristics between a sorority and Independent Council, such as the fact it is still a group of girls getting involved in a number of the same things, but with less formal commitment.

She also said that, at $20 to $30 per semester, it is less expensive than joining
a sorority.

“I joined Independent Council as a way to get involved with activities on campus that you needed a group to participate in,” Kirlin said. “I wanted to be part of something bigger at IU.”

Since coming to campus, Independent Council has participated in campus events like the Nearly Naked Mile, homecoming festivities and the Little Fifty race.

“We try to get involved with a lot of campus events that have been traditionally greek-dominated,” Kirlin said.

At the beginning of every year, the council also picks two philanthropies to support. This year, the group is working to benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children and Support Our Troops.

They also participate in smaller projects, such as Relay for Life, canned food drives and the Shine 4 Lauren concert last September.

The organization will host a call out meeting at 7 p.m. tonight at the Indiana Memorial Union in the Dogwood tree suites. Those who are unable to attend but would like more information should email the group at  ic.indiana@gmail.com or visit https://sites.google.com/site/independentcouncilatiu/.