District 5 councilman focuses on economy, constituents

For nearly two decades, Darryl Neher provided news on local politics and issues to Bloomington residents through their radios.

Now, he is using his voice for direct action.

Elected to the Bloomington City Council’s District 5 last fall, Neher, a Democrat, was sworn into office for his first term on Jan. 1.

Similar to his predecessor, Democrat Isabel Piedmont-Smith, Neher said his focus is narrowed in on one thing: serving his constituents.

“Isabel was exceptional in providing constituent services and not only communicating with the residents of District 5 through a variety of meetings, but just being responsive if people were trying to solve problems,” Neher said. “She set the bar high, and I hope that I can maintain that level of constituent services throughout my term.”

While Piedmont-Smith served as the District 5 City Council representative, she had monthly meetings with her constituents.

Neher said he plans to continue her legacy, providing constituency meetings every fourth Saturday of the month. The first meeting is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 28. Neher said the specific time and location is yet to be determined.

Neher is a native Hoosier from North Manchester. After graduating from DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind., Neher lived in Fort Wayne for a short period before moving to Bloomington. He began graduate school at IU in 1988.

Neher said he quickly fell in love with Bloomington.

“Bloomington is just diverse in so many different ways,” Neher said. “Bloomington has so many bigger-city amenities, obviously from the University, but we have a very incredible small-town feel. It’s balancing that, I think, that makes Bloomington a pretty special place.”

After graduating from IU, the University offered him a job and an opportunity to stay. The Kelley School of Business hired Neher as a senior lecturer in the business communications program.

On top of working full-time at IU and helping his wife, Jeanette Heidewald, raise his two stepchildren, Neher became a radio talk show host for Bloomington’s WFHB in the early ’90s.

A decade later, Neher left WFHB for WGCL’s Afternoon Edition.

Although Neher’s interest in local politics began before his first mic check, he said his radio appearances increased his interest. Since then, he has served as the vice chair of the City of Bloomington Commission on Sustainability, co-chair of the Higher Education Committee for Monroe County Community Schools and numerous other community service positions.

“You have to do your background research and prepare so the questions you ask are the right questions,” Neher said. “Getting to know the issues was certainly an important part, but also getting to know the people.”

City Council District 4 member Dave Rollo is among the local politicians Neher met while providing news on the radio.

Though Neher’s regular involvement in radio ended in 2009, Rollo and Neher stayed in contact. Rollo eventually endorsed Neher during his campaign for city council.

“I thought he was really on top of a lot of stories, whether they were national, state or local,” Rollo said. “He is an independent thinker; he has libertarian tendencies; he is a fierce defender of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I really respect that.”

Although Neher said he has already confronted several local issues during his first week on the council, strengthening the economy in Bloomington is currently a hot topic.

In the near future, Neher said he is anticipating the council’s work on Bloomington’s Growth Policies Plan. The plan, which Neher said acts as Bloomington’s mission statement, defines how the council hopes to see the city grow and develop.

Building the economy within Bloomington is not going to be a one-man job,
Neher said.

“I don’t think any council member can say they have the magic bullet, especially in this type of economic environment,” Neher said. “It’s working together and trying to
find solutions.”