men's basketball

Column: Zero to Hero

In simultaneous agreement, the more than 17,000 in attendance at Assembly Hall rose and gave their appreciation.

The standing cheers were not for the future of IU basketball — wunderkind Cody Zeller, who was subbing back into the game — but for the embattled veteran Zeller was replacing, Tom Pritchard.

After more than three years of criticism and scrutiny, Pritchard received much-deserved acceptance from the IU fan base after his performance in the Hoosiers’ 103-89 victory Sunday.

In just 13 minutes of playing time off the bench, Pritchard grabbed three offensive rebounds, scored seven points and uncharacteristically drew just one foul. But outside the numbers, the senior forward’s defensive presence, which created two charges, and an emphatic dunk to follow up a missed shot are what brought IU fans to their feet.

“When he’s confident going up and making baskets, that energizes our entire team,” IU Coach Tom Crean said of Pritchard. “That’s like a Matt Roth three or a Victor (Oladipo) or Will (Sheehey) dunk for us because our players love him, and obviously our fans do, too. They want to see him be successful. When he’s aggressive like that, it makes a huge difference in our team.”

Finally, the 6-foot-9 big man from Westlake, Ohio, was a fan favorite.

A starting forward in Crean’s first three seasons at the helm, Pritchard’s numbers decreased each season. After he averaged 9.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in his freshman year, his numbers dipped to 2.5 and 3.8, respectively, by the end of this past season.

IU fans had found their goat.

Many wrote off Pritchard as an unathletic, disappointing forward, not fit to play in the Big Ten. This 245-pound perceived goon had become yet another dysfunctional cog in a broken machine.

And yet, the same player whom fans loved to hate received chants of his name so he could go back into the game. I was waiting for Rudy to make an appearance.

“Yeah, I noticed when Coach was trying to put me in and then he took me back out and you could hear the big sigh,” Pritchard said.

This drastic change has come because Pritchard is now in a role perfectly tailored to him. And how appropriate that he gets it play it out in his final season.

As a reserve forward, Pritchard is expected to play defense and crash the boards with play infused by heart and desire — and he is doing just that.

“My role has changed a lot,” Pritchard said. “Coach (Tim) Buckley is always telling me ‘defense and rebounding,’ and I think my defense sparked a couple extra points tonight, and it’s just something I’m trying to do, come in and bring energy on the defensive side of the court.”

A different player has not worn No. 25 this season.

But the same jersey that collected dust in stores is now getting standing ovations in Assembly Hall.

And it’s not just for his play.

Thank Tom Pritchard for his passion. For his commitment to stay with a program and its fans, who despised him for so long. For his effort to work his tail off in his senior season, despite playing as a reserve behind a freshman who is the antithesis of his journey.

When Senior Day comes in March I hope Tom Pritchard can look into the stands and feel an entire fan base’s appreciation surrounding him as it was Sunday night.

­— azaleon@indiana.edu