Column: Men's basketball not the only bright spot for Hoosier fans in 2012

There was a headline not too long ago on the cover of the IDS Sports page that read, “All we do is lose, lose, lose.” That headline might have upset some people, but whether they thought it was appropriate didn’t matter.

The headline was true. All we did was lose. All the Hoosiers seemed to have done during the last three years was lose.

Yes, there were many teams that have done well during that time — soccer, swimming and a few others, but not the revenue-making sports. Not the ones people “care about.”

That all is about to change. This spring, all IU sports teams have the opportunity to draw in the newly rejuvenated student body. The basketball team is winning, and now all Hoosier fans are willing to believe again.

When the school’s top revenue sport is having an unprecedented successful season, it carries over to other teams. Coaches and players feel the Hoosier pride and don’t want to leave it behind.

This new year brings the opportunity to discover the other sports IU has to offer. It’s time to bring back the tradition of winning at IU.

Baseball
Although the first home game is not until March 21, baseball in Bloomington is always something worthwhile. Enjoying a game during an April afternoon is something every sports fan on campus should do.

The athletic department has helped the baseball team amp up its attendance with a few gimmicks.

Last year, the department created a “bleacher” area in left field to allow students to have a mini-tailgate while watching the game.

Heckling was not only permitted, but strongly encouraged. IU players in the bullpen would get a laugh out of some of the various things coming from the mouths of the bleacher bums.

Baseball games are fun to watch, but it also helps that the baseball team is actually pretty good. It finished last season 30-25 and has one of its best players returning in junior Micah Johnson.
Last season he led the team in runs, stolen bases, walks and a few other
categories.

Keep IU Coach Tracy Smith’s team in mind when basketball season ends, and fans look for new thrills.

Women’s Basketball
To say that there is nowhere to go but up for the women’s basketball team would be an understatement.

The Hoosiers are struggling — a lot. They’ve had some close games they’ve ended on the wrong side of. They need something to spark them: a fan base.

No, it’s not the same as seeing the now-No. 7 men’s basketball team play, but it’s about time they received some support.

They play Sunday afternoons, and now that football is almost over, why not go catch a game? Who knows, they might even surprise or entertain you.

Swimming and diving, baseball, softball, basketball, wrestling and a few others either continue or begin in 2012. I hope the spring has more winning in the future.