EDPOSA brings Bennett for Q&A

Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Bennett will engage in an informal question and answer session from 6 to 7:30 p.m. today in the School of Fine Arts room 102, followed by a free boxed dinner.

“It’s such a significant opportunity that he’s coming to SPEA that we want to ensure we ask him the right questions and that people’s questions are heard,” said Quentin Ball, Education Policy Student Association president in an email.

Bennett came to IU last year to talk with SPEA Assistant Dean Doug Goldstein’s Liberal Arts and Management Program class about education policy.

Goldstein said he was thrilled when Bennett agreed to address a larger group at an EDPOSA event funded by SPEA and IUSA Aid.

“They’ve done a really good job of reaching out to education leaders across the state and having conversations with them,” Goldstein said.

EDPOSA’s undergraduate liaison for the College of Arts and Sciences and senior Amanda Steinken realized how lucky she was to attend private schools.

When she came to IU, she saw how unfortunate some are to not receive a good education, she said.

Dr. Bennett does a good job of implementing policies but allowing enough flexibility for educators and policy makers to change what does not work, Goldstein said.

“If this is something that interests you, there are professional opportunities waiting for you,” Goldstein said. “You don’t have to do it for forty years before you can get involved.”

Anyone is welcome to attend the Q&A event. However, only EDPOSA members receive emails that include relevant education policy news articles, potential job openings and upcoming career panels, among other events.

To join EDPOSA, email Ball at ballq@indiana.edu.