Award-winning ‘Shrek the Musical’ debuts this week at IU Auditorium

For three nights this week, the kingdom of Far, Far Away will come to Bloomington.

“Shrek the Musical” will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the IU Auditorium.

The musical is based on antics from the first “Shrek” film and the original book, “Shrek!” by William Steig, which spawned the idea for the movie.

“Most shows play Indy first, but we were able to sneak in under the wire and get it before Indy did,” Auditorium Director Doug Booher said. “We are expecting folks to come down from Indianapolis.”

Booher said one of the major factors in bringing “Shrek the Musical” to the auditorium is the show’s appeal to all ages and “great comedic value,” specifically, the double entendres the movies are known for.

“These are incredibly well-received movies,” Booher said. “This is a huge opportunity in itself.”

Auditorium Events Manager Maria Talbert said the auditorium tries to include  something in the season “for the kids.”

“About a quarter of ticket sales have gone to IU students and children 12 and under,” Talbert said.

“People just love Shrek. We booked because we knew would have wide appeal.”
Both Booher and Talbert said ticket sales are strong.

“We are doing well,” Talbert said. “We do have great seats available for all of our shows.”  

Talbert said those interested in getting a glimpse of the show, seeing what it’s about and how the movie and book are translated onto the stage can visit the auditorium website to watch videos.

“There’s never a dull moment,” she said.

“It literally takes hours to transform Shrek from a person to a green ogre. It’s just amazing. It’s just a whole lot of fun.”

— Barb Anguiano