sports golf

Men’s golf tie for 2nd at Windon Memorial Classic

The men’s golf members have come to a point in the season in which they are playing as a team, rather than as individuals, IU Coach Mike Mayer said.

This play proved to be an asset to IU as they tied with UCLA for second at the
Windon Memorial Classic.

The team sat in fourth after the first day of the tournament, with an opening round total of three-over-par 283 at Evanston Golf Club. Since the second round was delayed due to darkness, the 17-team field completed play Monday, along with the final round.

Junior Brant Peaper recorded the low second round for the Hoosiers with a bogey-free, five-under-par 65. He finished tied for sixth at 211, while senior co-captain Chase Wright continued his consistent play this season and tied for fourth.

“Chase has shown that he is one of the best players out there week to week and Brant made a huge statement with his 65,” Mayer said. “Those are the scores we need to compete.”

This was Wright’s third top-ten finish of the season, following his runner-up finish at the Firestone Invitational last week.

“I’ve just been saving more shots here and there each round,” Wright said. “I’m getting the ball up and down better, and I have more patience on the golf course.”

The squad posted a tournament total 851, four strokes back of fourth-ranked Arkansas who took home the victory.

“Everyone contributed and no one gave up,” Mayer said. “It wasn’t always the prettiest out there, but we hung in there to stay in contention.”