sports women's soccer

Match brings final chance for seniors against Purdue

Womens soccer v. Michigan

Wednesday’s practice ended with the team huddle, as usual.

The chant, however, was new. “Beat the Boilermakers.”

It is one thing that the six seniors’ careers lack. In 2008, IU earned a 1-1 draw against its in-state rivals.

Since then, the Hoosiers have lost two matches, each by one goal.

Senior forward Carly Samp said she is eager to notch a win against the Boilermakers.

“Everyone here hates Purdue,” Samp said. “I hate Purdue. We’ve come so close to beating them the past couple of years, just haven’t gotten the win. This game is going to be really special for all the seniors.”

IU Coach Mick Lyon said his team was struggling with self-belief during its last match against Penn State.

Meanwhile, approximately 100 miles to the northwest, Purdue, in 11th place in the Big Ten standings at the time, scored two goals in 3:39 to defeat Ohio State 2-1. The Buckeyes came into the match third in the standings.

“That’s what I think about all the time,” Samp said. “You never know what can happen on the soccer field at any given day. It’s another day tomorrow.”

Last season, for example, in the Hoosiers’ penultimate match, Ohio State came to Bloomington leading the Big Ten and ranked No. 18 in the country.

The Buckeyes left Armstrong Stadium with a loss.

“Last year, Ohio State came in thinking they were top dog, and we knocked ‘em off 1-0,” Lyon said. “That’s the thing about the Big Ten: All twelve teams are very good. Any game, somebody can win. We remind the girls of that.”

Added motivation for at least one Hoosier came Sunday in the 76th minute when Penn State made a goalkeeper substitution. Senior midfielder Devon Beach was not pleased.

“I was insulted by it,” Beach said. “It was a slap in the face.”

Lyon, however, said he saw a silver lining.

“(Junior defender) Molly Buynak and (redshirt freshman midfielder) Bekah White played a terrific game against one of the best players in the country,” he said. “We limited her to very few chances (4 shots). She got a couple of goals. But that’s not due to the play of those two in the back. There’s some belief there.”