sports field hockey

Robertson earns her 100th, 101st career victories

IU outshoots opponents, 52-8

The IU field hockey team cruised past Ball State 4-0 on Saturday and Missouri State 4-1 on Sunday, giving IU Coach Amy Robertson her 100th and 101st career wins and giving the team a 4-0 record this season.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better place to start my head coaching career,” Robertson said. “Obviously I’m biased, but I think this is the best school in the country.”

The Hoosiers came out strong against Ball State with a stifling defense the Cardinals couldn’t answer to. After a quick shot to open the game, IU took the next 11 shots, putting six on goal. It was in the 16th minute when senior Brenna Moeljadi’s shot found twine, coming off a corner struck by junior Brooke Borneman for IU’s first goal.

“We created a lot of different opportunities, so when that happens you’re going to have all sorts of different people finishing,” Robertson said.

In the 32nd minute, the Hoosiers scored again on a slap shot off the stick of senior Katie Griswold.

By the end of the first half, it was clear the Cardinals were outmatched with one lone shot compared to 20 by IU.

In the second half, IU continued to dominate, tallying two more goals and ending the game with a 4-0 win. Ball State was limited to a mere shot on goal and no corners.
“We worked really hard to try and organize our defensive structure on the front end so that we’re not surprised by breakaways or free players,” Robertson said.

In the second game of the weekend, the Hoosiers again looked strong with stellar performances from junior Morgan Fleetwood and Moeljadi.

Fleetwood notched her fifth and sixth goals of the season. Moeljadi scored twice and had a defensive save, giving her eight for her career — an IU record.

Griswold was another huge contributor with an assist on all four goals.

Once again, the stats did the team’s talking, as IU had 24 shots compared to five from the Bears and 13 corners to the opponent’s three.

“I think the next couple games we need to be a little more savvy and purposeful for finding the back of the net,” Robertson said. “We have a lot of opportunities, and some games we may not have as many. We have to find a way to finish and know what we’re doing as a team.”

For Robertson, the milestone is now under her belt, and she can use it to continue to win and look forward.

“I‘ve enjoyed every single year. This is just another milestone. It’s nice getting your 100th win,” Robertson said. “I hope the next hundred come even quicker.”