Police follow tip about missing student, search wooded area near Martinsville, nothing found

Missing: Lauren Spierer

Members of the Bloomington Police Department and Indiana State Police searched a wooded area that is north of Bloomington and south of Martinsville near State Road 37 in response to tip about missing IU student, Lauren Spierer.

BPD. Sgt. Pam Gladish told an IDS reporter on the scene that they were following a lead.

The BPD, ISP, Team Adam and an evidence technician were on the scene as well.

At about 3 p.m., the BPD received a phone call on a tip line that said there was a suspicious odor in the area, BPD Capt. Joe Qualters said.

“We went up into the area that was described. We also checked by air the whole area up there, and while checking apparently someone found what appeared to be a fresh mound of dirt described as two feet by four feet,” he said. “They then began checking around underneath that ground and found absolutely nothing.”

Qualters repeated that absolutely nothing was found in relation to Lauren Spierer’s disappearance.

“I think the conclusion is perhaps it might be related to some kind of utility work in that area,” Qualters said.

Lauren Spierer was last seen at 4:30 a.m. Friday, June 3. A press briefing is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Monday to discuss the ongoing investigation.

— Alex Farris