Kate Bush redoes her catalogue

bush

Kate Bush just can’t come out with a steady stream of music. It’s been nearly six years since her last album, and that one came after a 12-year hiatus. On “Director’s Cut,” Bush hasn’t even released any new music; instead, she has redone some of her old songs. Although, it remarkably all works.

The songs on “Director’s Cut” are culled from 1989’s “The Sensual World” and 1993’s “The Red Shoes.”

Both albums are quite good, but “The Red Shoes” doesn’t have the solid reputation of “The Sensual World.”

Bush’s first order of business is to remove the 1980’s rim shots of doom. They are replaced with much more tasteful (and life-like) drumming. Those synthesizer parts are also toned down, which isn’t always wise. Synths have made their way back into the hands of cool indie bands, some of whom are undoubtedly influenced by Bush, so she could probably stand to use the synthesizers now.

Some tracks even have new vocals added in. The majority of the album is devoted to “Red Shoes” songs, which might seem like a strange choice since it’s the weaker album. However, Bush has only selected the best songs from that release, and they need updating more than “Sensual World” tracks.

“Rubber Band” from that album is transformed from something reeking of ‘80s production to something that sounds a bit like The Beatles’ “Get Back.”
Ultimately, the “Director’s Cut” versions may become the preferred versions of these songs.