DeMuth talks education past, future with public Wednesday

Before Judith DeMuth took the stage for her interview, she walked down the aisle of chairs, thanking the public for attending.

DeMuth is one of two finalists for the Monroe County Community School Corporation superintendent position. Steven Disney, the other candidate, answered to the community on Monday.

An IU graduate, DeMuth has been an educator and administrator since 1977. DeMuth is now superintendent of LaPorte Community School Corporation.

DeMuth lists many accomplishments from her time at LaPorte, including establishing a virtual summer school and taking her schools from the “watch” list to an “exemplary” rating by Public Law 221 standards.

In her opening statement, DeMuth dispelled some rumors and clarified her role in a few controversial issues.

One issue causing concern involves a case of sexual misconduct and allegations that a high school volleyball coach was involved in an inappropriate relationship with a female player.

Jim Muehling, MCCSC school board president, confirmed DeMuth does not bear consequences from the case.

After her opening statement, the public wanted to know more about DeMuth:

Public: What are your feelings about keeping art and music instruction?

DeMuth: It’s very important. We’re so focused on academics and high-stake test scores, but you can’t forget about the arts. The arts give students the creativity they may need for entrepreneurship.

P: How do you feel about teachers evaluating the administrators in their building?

D: It depends on the type of evaluation. As superintendent, people give me evaluations at breakfast every morning. And in PLCs, that input seems to be coming through loud and clear, and it gets everyone on the same page. I am very willing to look at how to make it work.

P: Would you support collective bargaining even if it is no longer a requirement?

D: Certainly. Possibly the formality of it may be different. But there is nothing better for kids than staff members who like their work environment. Unless you intentionally schedule time to meet, it’s not going to happen. So we just need to be sure to do that.

P: How would you describe your leadership style?

D: I’m a tempered visionary with the reality of finances and political dimensions. I want to manage so it’s the easiest I can make it for those people supporting our kids.

P: How would you describe your working relationship with a school board? What if they were accused of micromanaging or being difficult to work with?

D: Very simple, they are supposedly my second family. We are family. We need to sit down and look at problems and be open and honest. Families have disagreements and outliers. If we have problems, you’re not going to hear about it. If we for some reason can’t work it out, I’m not going to publicize that, I’m going to have to find my way out.

P: How do you feel about merit pay?

D: I agreed to put a committee together to look at the option. But there’s just not enough money. You can’t give someone $500 for something they’ve been doing for 35 years. I may look into a rubric option, but until the legislative session is over, I don’t want to waste people’s time.