Wonka’s Carnival brings in chocolate, charity, fun

The fourth annual celebration of Amethyst House’s “Wonka’s Chocolate Carnival” is complete with everything Wonka’s Chocolate Factory is famous for, from the chocolate river to the Oompa Loompas.  

“I get talked into dressing up like an Oompa Loompa every year,” said Annie Cheek, case manager of the Amethyst House women’s branch. “I will help with setup and stuff, but I also dress up and get in character.”

The carnival Saturday is open to all ages at the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington and usually draws in children from ages 4 to 10, said Gina Lovell, Amethyst House associate director of administration.

“This carnival is about more than recreating Willy Wonka’s world,” Lovell said. “The event seeks to promote Amethyst House’s mission by raising more awareness of the organization.”

Lovell said their mission is to “provide foundation for sober living by partnering with individuals, families and communities impacted by addictions and substance abuse issues, offering quality recovery services and guidance for clean, sober and healthy living.”

“This is the only function we have throughout the year that focuses on young ages,” she said.  “It’s a good way for families to learn about us, so if they have a family member who can utilize our services, we can provide some outreach to them.”

Cheek said that, like Lovell, she is excited to sponsor the carnival because it brings families together to an event that promotes drug-free fun.

“We try to advertise so that families in the area know about it,” Cheek said. “We also advertise within the AA and NA community because it’s a great thing for families to do that doesn’t involve drinking or using drugs or anything like that.”

Amethyst House usually works with individuals, but is trying to expand its reach to families in order to help family members understand and adjust to the recovery process.

“One of our goals that we’ve been really talking about is trying to get families more involved so we can provide support for them but also to help that process of going back with the family after treatment,” Cheek said.

Cheek also said planning the event for four years now has made the production process easier.  

With the stress of planning off their minds, the workers at Amethyst House have created many fun events for this year’s carnival celebration. A chocolate fountain will represent Wonka’s Chocolate River, and children will be given pineapple pieces and strawberries to dip into the chocolate.

Lovell also said there will be a ring toss, a golden ticket prize contest, a spaghetti and gumdrop tower-building contest and a moon bounce, which was a huge hit last year.

“We had one of those gigantic moon bounces, and the line pretty much went from the back of the gym all the way out the door,” said Lindsay McClung, office manager of Amethyst House.  “It’s just cute to see all the kids having a good time.”

“Wonka’s Chocolate Carnival” will take place from 3 to 6 p.m. and tickets cost $5 per person and $15 per family.