Nick's and Kilroy's: How bouncers check IDs

Don't get caught with a fake.

Nick’s English Hut

Nick’s shiftman Tony Dee says the bar spots about one fake a month. “More people try to just straight up ask you to get in,” he says.
In addition to using a blacklight and asking every patron a question, Dee says bouncers aren’t afraid to consult a book. “If there is any doubt at all, we have a book that you can look up any detail about any state ID,” he says.
The bottom line: Make sure your ID is up to par. If it’s not readable or if it’s questionable, you’re out of luck. “If they’re too bad, we normally don’t accept them, period,” Dee says. “People get upset, but they should just get a new ID.”

Kilroy’s on Kirkwood

More often than not, the illegal IDs bouncers catch are real, but for the wrong person.
After checking information on both the front and the back of the ID, bouncers question about 25 percent of patrons, says doorstaff member Josh Hodgens. They can also ask for a third form of ID or defer to a manager if there’s a dispute.
“Most people know they’re underage and recognize when they’ve been caught,” says doorstaff member Alex Houlihan. “If it was really them, they’d give a bigger fight or ask to talk to a manager.”
A majority of fakes are from Indiana, but bouncers also see a lot from the East Coast and California.