Ladies First to perform at Buskirk

Ladies First

Legs, black and white apparel and the smiles of 13 energetic ladies reflect in a large mirror of a music practice room. After singing scales, one turns around and shouts, “We’re hot!” ... and she’s right.

This Friday, the members of Ladies First, IU’s premier female a cappella group, will perform their fall concert at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Ladies First will sing a mix of classical and contemporary songs, from the rhythm and blues of Rihanna to the rock and soul of Journey.

While many students are familiar with IU’s male a cappella group, Straight No Chaser, the all female group, which started in 1999, gives weekly performances and sings at countless events on campus and around the country.

Junior and IDS staff member Rachel Cerrone has been a member for nearly three years and is the group’s manager.

Since she was 6 years old, singing has been her passion.

When she came to IU, her love of music and desire for a career in journalism seemed at odds with each other, yet when she heard about Ladies First, she soon became attracted to the range of contemporary songs the group performed.

“We sing songs on the radio and make them better,” Cerrone said. “We add our own flare. What more could you want?”

Cerrone said Ladies First is not a typical a cappella group that focuses on older tunes. Their goal is to involve the audience and to engage the crowd in their performance.

This year, the ladies have sung at numerous philanthropic events. One of their favorite performances was at IU Dance Marathon, raising funds for Riley Hospital for Children.

“It was at a point where we weren’t just learning more music, but we were feeling comfortable,” Cerrone said. “The crowd was great — dancing, moving their arms and cheering. We feed off of the crowd’s energy.”

From their laughter, banter and constant string of compliments, it’s also evident that these ladies draw strength from each other.

In a University of more than 40,000 students, finding people to connect with can
 be intimidating.

Cerrone said she wanted a small, intimate group where she could feel a reason for being there. Ladies First has provided her with a new sense of family.

“We have a reason to be here, for each other,” Cerrone said. “It’s not just to sing, but to be with your friends and have fun. Everyone in the group is my best friend.”

With only one music major in the group, their diverse backgrounds create strong bonds through music.

For sophomore Kelly Fritz, singing is a cathartic practice and a big stress reliever from the chaos of schoolwork and activities. Singing in Ladies First is a place where she
feels balanced.

“It’s such a good niche on campus,” Fritz said. “It’s a place to be if you want to expand your friendships and be with people who have similar interests.”

When half of the group’s members graduated last year, they were unsure if they could fill the gaps, but the addition of seven new members has given Ladies First a fresh face.

Ladies First
WHEN 8 p.m. Friday, doors open at 7:30 p.m.
WHERE Buskirk-Chumley Theater
ADMISSION $7 for students and $12 for general admission

At Friday’s performance, Fritz said the show will be a unique opportunity to hear the group’s full musical range.

“Regardless of your musical taste, there will be something to resonate with everyone,” Fritz said.