Jones leads Hoosiers in Sunday victory

Men's Basketball vs. Wright State

IU junior guard Verdell Jones spoke this offseason about increased confidence and a hunger to improve as a leader.

He showed both of those attributes Sunday.

Jones — who missed the exhibition games because of an ankle injury — paced the Hoosiers with 27 points as they defeated Wright State, 67-44, at Assembly Hall. 

“The speed of the game felt a lot easier, the ankle felt better, the jumper felt a lot better,” Jones said. “Everything just felt good tonight.”

IU coach Tom Crean admitted that he did not think Jones would be at this stage this quickly.

He was proven wrong.

“I was a little concerned that it would take a little time for him to get back in the flow, especially after the other night, but he blew that theory out of the water,” Crean said. “It was a great confidence builder for him. He came out and played like a veteran, played within himself, made plays for others with a lot of room for improvement.” 

Though he struggled early on in the playmaker role — Jones finished with six turnovers and only two assists — he took it upon himself to put the ball in the basket. 

From the opening tip, he did a good job of penetrating the Wright State (0-1) defense. When IU (2-0) was down 4-0 minutes into the game, Jones worked his way below the basket and put in a layup on a feed from IU sophomore forward Christian Watford.

Minutes later with the Hoosiers trailing, 10-8, Jones hit a big 3-pointer to give his team its first lead of the game. 

Jones also played well on the defensive side, causing multiple turnovers and hauling in six rebounds. 

Jones, though, was not the only player to have an efficient offensive game. Watford continued his strong start to the season despite a tough first half.  He had only three points — all from the free throw line — on 0-for-3 shooting.

His second half was a different story. 

Watford attacked the rim at will and found a groove on mid-range shots. In the last 20 minutes, he was 6-for-7 and finished with 17 points.

“I knew my points were going to come eventually through the offense,” Watford said. “I tried not to worry about it and get others involved and keep rebounding the ball well.”   

But while the offense came alive Sunday night, it was the defense that made the biggest impact against the Raiders.

Even with 21 turnovers and a period of more than six minutes without a point in the second half, IU’s lockdown defense kept the game out of reach of Wright State.

Raiders guard Vaughn Duggins (15 points) was the only player on his squad in double-digit scoring. Wright State shot only 32.6 percent from the field and was doubled on the glass.  

IU ended the game with 40 rebounds compared to 20 by the Raiders, which was the biggest differential in Crean’s tenure at IU.

“For them to defend that way for 40 minutes — this team, where defense in the past has not been where it needs to be — I’m proud of it,” Crean said. “It’s something to build toward.”