Go ahead, call her a townie

Confessions

Junior Emily Colman tells us about her block-and-a-half commute and the advantages of going to school in her hometown.

What does being a townie mean to you?

Townie to me means my friends and everyone I grew up with. I feel like it’s something to be proud of. I think a lot of people who are involved in the University feel like it’s a cop out to go to college in the same place you went to high school, but we have one of the best campuses in the country.

How far away is your campus home from your actual home?

The distance between my home and where I currently live is like a block and a half. So it’s still around where I grew up. Usually, Sunday nights are my time to be home with the family. 

What’s it like to go home for breaks?

Most people leave, so Bloomington gets a little bit quieter. And a lot of my friends from high school go to schools all over the country, and they all come back. So to me, it feels like I’m hanging out with my really solid group from high school. Everyone’s in town and there are a lot of townie parties. And it’s a lot of fun, and everyone’s back, so it’s just one big party. Obviously it’s more relaxing because you don’t have school and you get to concentrate on hanging out with friends and family.

Did you ever attend IU events or go to college parties in high school?

Oh yeah, definitely. That was like the coolest part of growing up here. I joked around during my freshman year here about being a freshman for four years. There’s definitely an advantage with that, and having a friend already based in college when you’re coming into college really helps. 

Do you ever get a bad rap for being a townie? 

Everyone’s pretty cool about it. And if they’re not, then they’re not a friend of mine. The thing about townies is that it’s not like we’re a clique. We don’t feel the need to stay in our own circles because we can definitely branch out. Being from here creates a lot of confidence. 

How has growing up in Bloomington affected your college lifestyle?

I actually think it’s been sort of an advantage. I’m involved in retail, and I have my own website, which is called BtownBoutiques.com. I’ve really been able to develop a relationship with local store owners that I wouldn’t have had time for or been interested in doing if I were at another campus away from home. It was pretty easy for me to network because I’m a familiar face. 

Do you have a favorite piece of advice that you give to someone who is new to Bloomington?  

My words of wisdom would be to definitely create something. Bloomington is a great place for being creative, and it has that element where people will be supportive. Definitely reach out and get to know people who are from here.