3rd Congressional District candidates: on the issues

The 3rd Congressional District is located in the northeastern corner of Indiana and includes Fort Wayne.

The 3rd District seat has been empty since Republican Mark Souder resigned on May 21. Historically, this district has voted Republican. Prior to his retirement, Souder had the seat since he was first elected in 2002.

Tom Hayhurst (D)

Hayhurst earned both an undergraduate degree and a medical degree from IU. He has practiced medicine in the Fort Wayne area for about 30 years and served on the Fort Wayne City Council for 12 years.

He ran unsuccessfully for the 3rd Congressional District seat in 2006.

Economy
Hayhurst said he sees jobs as the most important issue to Hoosiers.

“Good jobs and a healthy economy are the bedrock of the American Dream,” he said.

Hayhurst said he plans to work to bring renewable energy jobs to Indiana and to create tax cuts and other incentives for companies to keep jobs within the United States.

Education
Hayhurst mentioned the importance of a college degree and the difficulty of affording it in tough economic times.

He discussed the necessities of fixing the public education system by making improvements to the No Child Left Behind Act.

“I will work to fix No Child Left Behind by reforming assessments and testing requirements,” Hayhurst said.

National Security
Hayhurst doesn’t list any positions on national security topics on his campaign website.

Gay Rights
Hayhurst does not discuss his position on gay rights on his campaign website.

Abortion
Hayhurst does not state his stance on abortion rights on his campaign website.

Source: www.hayhurstforcongress.com

Marlin Stutzman (R)

Stutzman has served as an Indiana State Senator since 2009. He was a member of the Indiana State House of Representatives from 2002 until 2008. He is the owner of Stutzman Farms Trucking.

Economy
Stutzman said he supports lowering taxes for businesses and investing in infrastructure. He said he opposes government-regulated systems such as cap and trade and federally managed health care.

“The free market didn’t create the problems we face now in the economy, but it can create the solution,” Stutzman said.

He said he opposes federal bailouts and high government spending.

Stutzman said he has never voted for a tax increase.

Education

The primary element of Stutzman’s education platform is that federal control of education is negative and that control should be returned to the local level.

“We must give teachers more authority to teach, and reward educators that produce positive results,” he said.

Stutzman said he also supports a system that would give tax credits to families whose children attend private schools or choose to homeschool in an effort to support free market competition in the education system.

National Security
Stutzman said he believes in stronger support of the military by Congress and the president. He said the government has not been involved enough in the wellbeing of

American troops, or in the protection of American interests.

“I believe in the simple — but powerful — axiom of President Ronald Reagan: Peace through strength,” Stutzman said.

He helped to sponsor the Military Family Relief Fund bill while he was a member of the Indiana House of Representatives.

Gay Rights
Stutzman did not list his opinions on the subject of gay rights on his campaign website.

However, he sponsored a proposed amendment to the Indiana Constitution that will define marriage as between only one man and one woman if it is enacted. It would also prohibit a definition of a relationship similar to marriage but between people who cannot legally marry.

Abortion
Stutzman identified himself as pro-life.

“Protecting innocent life — of the born and preborn — is very dear to me,” he said.

Source: www.gomarlin.com