Race expands Little 500 tradition, runners compete for 50 team spots

Little 50

Although the runners in the Little Fifty might not prepare by shaving their legs and arms as Little 500 riders do, it is still a part of the Little 500 tradition.

“The reason Little Fifty was created in the first place was to make the event more accessible,” said Pam Loebig, IU Student Foundation race director. “To buy a bike and gear is a little intimidating. We wanted an event that is accessible to anyone on campus.”

Qualifications, which took place at Bloomington High School North, narrowed the competition from 29 teams for both the women and men to 25 teams for each. During the race, each member ran 800 meters. Each team will divide to conquer 50 laps during the race on April 22. Until then, each team has schedules to stick to and sprints to practice.

Alpha Chi Omega

Last year, the team competed with only three girls when one girl had to drop out just days before the race. They learned their lesson, and this year they have an alternate.
“I’m like the coach on the sideline,” said freshman Sara Waters.

The team earned ninth place last year, and they plan to gauge their qualification time to help them figure out their training schedule.

The girls practice every Tuesday and Thursday at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, and they run outside on Sundays.

“It’s a sprint and then stretch, sprint and then stretch,” Waters said.

The girls’ sisters patted them on the back when they were done, placing their hands on an already outlined handprint that said “pat me” on the back of each runner’s shirt.

Kappa Sigma

“Dude, my legs are on fire,” said junior Alex Purcell as he walked off the track.
“Me too,” sophomore Rudy Ellis said.

Although qualifications is a good speed test, it’s nothing like the real race, sophomore Drew Morris said. During the official race, instead of sprinting two laps, each member of the Kappa Sigma team runs one lap, then rests three.

“Qualifications is just a good chance to see everyone else. It’s a good benchmark,” Ellis said.

During the Little 500, teams don’t exchange often because it slows them down. However, when running, exchanges don’t hurt a team, so it’s smart to exchange as often as possible and give runners a break, Loebig said.

The team practices four times a week doing interval training at a quick pace. They also strength-train three times a week.

Ellis said he might join the fraternity’s bike race next year because the team is losing two seniors, and “it might be my turn to pass the torch down.” Until then, he’ll stick with running.

“It’s fun to run,” Ellis said. “Running in circles is like NASCAR.”