Indiana stores to stock Scholar’s Inn goods on shelves

Close to 25 Marsh Supermarkets and 150 Kroger Grocery Stores across Indiana and parts of Illinois are now carrying Scholar’s Inn granola.

The Sysco Corporation even helped Scholar’s Inn send granola to the Colts players during the Super Bowl.

The Blue Door Café in Greencastle, Ind., reopened its doors last month, this time with a new line of baked goods supplied by Scholar’s Inn. 

After closing last summer to change locations, Blue Door owner Dennis Furr decided it was time to cut overhead by ordering breads and pastries from an outside company.
“We were losing money,” Furr said. “We were trying to bake it all ourselves; it was just a lot of work and a lot of stock.”

Furr talked to family in Bloomington and many of his former customers in Greencastle before choosing to buy from Scholar’s Inn Bakehouse.

“There’s nowhere like Scholar’s Inn around here,” Furr said. “Customers would tell me, ‘They have the best bagels. We could use a place to get a good bagel.’ So, I got in contact with them.”

The Blue Door is not the only place that has turned to Scholar’s Inn for baking needs. Omni Hotel and Clarian Hospital in Indianapolis both have made deals with Scholar’s Inn. Greg Berke, IU alumnus and president of Scholar’s Inn said a lot has been going on with the company and they’re adding new accounts all the time.

“The sky’s the limit with our wholesale,” Berke said. “We’re having a lot of fun as we continue to grow.”
The Indianapolis Business Journal recently interviewed Berke for its article on local businesses that are thriving during the recession.

Berke believes the reason for the recent success is that consumers are starting to lean toward more wholesome and natural foods.

“You don’t need a chemistry book to read our ingredients,” he said.

With the recent success, there have been minor discussions within management for possible expansion, but nothing has been put in motion for the time being, Berke said.
Though the majority of the sales increases have been through wholesale, Scholar’s Inn Bakehouse manager Tony Fishburn has seen a steady flow of customers in retail as well.

Fishburn said the combination of good food and good location has continued the company’s success.

“The locals love us,” Fishburn said. “A lot of people work downtown, so it’s real close for them to come here, and the food is awesome.”

As the Blue Door Café enters its third week of business since the move, Furr said the people of Greencastle are starting to fall in love with their Scholar’s Inn food, too.

“There’s probably cheaper ways to get our baked goods, but we’d never get the same quality we have now,” Furr said. “It’s taken off.”

Scholar’s Inn currently owns and operates five locations within Bloomington’s city limits and a wine café in downtown Indianapolis. The company employs more than 120 people.

Scholar’s Inn is currently trying to perfect its own granola bar, which should be introduced to retailers in the next few months.

“I’ve eaten here constantly for three years now, and I still haven’t got sick of it,” Fishburn said.