Paoli Peaks offers college students cheaper ski experience

Bloomington might be covered in snow this week, but students usually leave town to ski.

The Paoli Peaks Ski Resort in Paoli, Ind., offers a weekly night of discounted skiing.
Paoli Peaks is the closest place for IU students to ski.

With a valid student ID, students who own ski or snowboard equipment can purchase a lift ticket for $16 on any Thursday night for the rest of the ski season. This saves students $9 off the normal $25 price, said Paoli Peaks marketing director Vickie Lincks.

Students who do not have their own equipment can also receive a deal on College Nights. They have the option of purchasing a $30 complete package, which includes a lift ticket, ski or snowboard rental and an introductory ski lesson.

“Thursday night is a great night for college students because a lot of times the week of classes is nearly over,” Lincks said. “And Thursday night is a quiet night for us, so it’s a good night to offer a special.”

According to the Paoli Peaks’ Web Site, slopes are built on a 900-foot natural hill, which features 110 stationary snow-making towers and machines.

“For beginners, I think it’s a great place to go,” said Brendan Sennet, an IU Junior and first year snowboarder.

IU junior Mark Fischer has been snowboarding at big ski resorts since he was 9 years old. Although Fischer said he prefers longer runs on bigger mountains, he said Paoli is a good training ground for new skiers.

“They have a good beginner slope and intermediate slopes down at the end of the hill,” he said. “There are some other runs that have steep hills. That gives you a little more taste of what an actual mountain might be like.”

Fischer said aspiring skiers should consider Paoli Peaks before heading out west to ski larger mountains.

“I grew up on a hill like Paoli,” he said. “And that’s what’s got me into snowboarding and got me to where I’m at today.”