Drag contest winner keeps advocacy in mind

Annual contest crowns Hoosier Daddy 2010

Hoosier Daddy

The Hoosier Daddy Drag King Contest crowned its fourth winner, Keagan Holiday, on Thursday.

“I’m ecstatic and very gracious,” Holiday said after being crowned.

He added that this was his first competition, but not his first time in drag.

Holiday, as well as Jake Meoff and Colton Parker, the other two contestants, were judged on a talent portion and a question-and-answer section.

“Drag has progressed through the years. The GLBT community and allies have been coming together to support each other,” said Meoff as he answered his question. “Drag has opened doors to the mainstream.”

Holiday said his first action as Hoosier Daddy 2010 would be to advocate for educating the community about GLBT issues.

Hosts for the event were Miss Gay IU 2006 Vanessa Vale and Chanel Cartier, the reigning Miss Gay IU.

Both Vale and Cartier performed as well as the contestants and Richard Cranium, Mr. USofA Male Illusionist.

Throughout the performances energetic fans offered tips to performers, all of which were donated to Positive Link, an organization in Bloomington that offers AIDS and HIV services to the community.

“I had never seen a drag show before,” attendee and sophomore Tessa Wilhelm said. “It was so much fun.”

Vale, who has been involved with the competition since its beginnings four years ago, agreed and said the crowd was great.

“I have every confidence that it will be comparable to Miss Gay IU in the future,” she said.