Chili Peppers cover band back at Bluebird

Funky Monks familiar with Bloomington fans

Even after a Beatles Tribute Band performance, Bloomington music fans still want more.

The Funky Monks performed their 14th Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute show Saturday night at the Bluebird.

“We’ve got a supportive crew here that makes it to most of the shows,” bass player Jeff Genualdi said. “We know if it’s a slow night we can rely on them to be here.”

Genualdi started the band six years ago because he was a big fan of Flea, the Chili Peppers’ bassist, and recognized that there are a lot of tribute bands but there aren’t a lot of Chili Peppers tribute bands in the Midwest. Since then, the band has made about 20 stops in Bloomington including the Bluebird and IU Dance Marathon.

“We’ve found that college towns are the niche for this band,” said Genualdi, who was dressed head to toe in Lakers gear. “When we play at a college town or fraternity event, we always get an enthusiastic response. We always do well here at IU. When we’re here we want to give it our all.”

IU alumna Beth Brown celebrated her 24th birthday at the Bluebird. Besides being an enthusiastic Red Hot Chili Peppers fan, she’s also been attending the Funky Monks shows since she turned 21.

Beth Brown and her friend Sara Brown, an IU graduate student, stayed after the concert to talk with the band members, who she considers to be her friends. The girls pride themselves on coming to every show and standing in the same spot.

“They interact with the crowd a lot,” Brown said. “They keep up with the songs and they cover them very well. They have a lot of energy, and they’re a lot of fun.”

During the Funky Monks two-and-a-half hour set, their performance included covers of the songs “Californication,” “Tell Me Baby,” “Road Trippin,”“Snow,” “Dani California” and more.

“If you can get a good cover of them, then that’s great,” said senior Nicky Wharton, who has seen the Funky Monks perform before. “I come to the Bluebird a lot. The crowd is pretty chill. They are always really into the band.”

As the band ended their performance and offered to have drinks with anyone who was willing to stay after, the audience began chanting, “One more song!”

The Funky Monks came back out to perform “Wonder Wall” by Oasis, but the drummer took over the microphone instead, throwing his drumsticks to the audience.
The band also played songs by artists that influenced the Chili Peppers, including “Hey Ho, Let’s Go” by the Ramones.

“Since the Red Hot Chili Peppers never really tour, it’s really cheap and pretty awesome,” said IU senior Danie Leatherman.

After the show, band members talked like old friends to the fans who stayed after, Miller Lites in their hands.

The members talked about the Colts win and Indianapolis’ lack of big name hockey and baseball teams. Singer Ryan Machnica also did his impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger doing Eminem.

“They’re very fun and personable,” Sara Brown said. “They will stay and talk as long as they can until they get kicked out.”