Without Creek, major test awaits Hoosiers

The New Year is on the horizon, which means the Big Ten begins its ruthless, grueling two-and-a-half month season in the coming days.

For IU, it presents another catch in what seems like the longest two years in program history.

The Hoosiers will be without the heart and soul of their offense, freshman guard Maurice Creek, for the remainder of the season because of a fractured left knee suffered in the second half of the Hoosiers’ 90-42 win against Bryant on Monday night at Assembly Hall.

Creek will have surgery tomorrow in Indianapolis.

“He is a very special young man, special family,” IU coach Tom Crean said after the game. “Our No. 1 concern is that the surgery goes well.”

Coincidentally, the injury to one of the nation’s leading freshman scorers came on a day where resting starters before a string of marquee games was a hot topic in the state of Indiana. Just a day earlier, the Indianapolis Colts and team President Bill Polian elected to sit the majority of their starting players to prepare for the playoffs and ensure health. 

If there’s anything this team has learned during the last year, it’s finding a way to compete at a disadvantage in one of college basketball’s most physical conferences.

And many times over the course of last year’s conference season, the Hoosiers were able to do so without a player of Creek’s statistical and physical caliber.

The Oxon Hill, Md., native - who was offered a scholarship by Crean as a sophomore - totaled 60 points in two straight contests this month. One of those games was a 31-point performance against now-No. 3 Kentucky.

With Big Ten play approaching, it’s time to measure the progress with yet another handicap. But there has been progress; how could there not be?

The hole into which former coach Kelvin Sampson dug the program after committing major violations from 2006 to 2008 made "up" the only place to go. Now it’s time to see just how far up the hill the program has climbed since the tumultuous and disheartening spring of 2008.

There have been bright spots, like the inspiring and energetic performances against NCAA runner-up Michigan State last year and Kentucky already this year. And there have been dull spots, such as a loss to Lipscomb last season.

Monday night gave the Hoosiers some much-needed confidence after dropping a home game to Loyola (Md.) last Tuesday. It also gave some reasons the outcome of Thursday’s conference opener against Michigan could realistically fall in favor of IU despite Creek’s absence.

Any blowout victory is enough to motivate a player having gone through what this IU team has over the last year, as is the devastating loss of a teammate. The Wolverines’ 20-point comeback last year in Bloomington is enough in itself to get the Hoosiers up for a fight.

There’s no doubt IU is physically prepared for the months ahead, as they’ve had about as tough a pre-conference season as any team could schedule. There’s no question the determination is there after the one-win conference campaign a year ago and always-lofty expectations at one of college basketball’s premier programs.

One thing is for sure: Even if Creek is sidelined for the year, there is a certain amount of experience present in terms of finishing games IU didn’t have a year ago.

Last season, the likes of Michigan, Penn State and Michigan State had an advantage on the Hoosiers in their ability to find ways to win close games down the stretch.

“It’s a big win and going to serve well in the long run,” said freshman forward Christian Watford after his 15-point performance.

The difference in the team that took Branch McCracken Court on Monday compared to last Tuesday was night and day.

Save the fact Bryant had just two players measuring over 6-foot-6 compared to IU’s six and was physically outmatched.

There’s nothing the opposition can do to counter a team’s quality statistical play. IU shot an exceptional 55.2 percent from the field and almost 41 percent from 3-point land against the Bulldogs.

The Hoosiers came out and looked like they wanted to play on this night. The energy that Crean said was necessary was there for the entire 40 minutes.

Where IU will be tested is in how it handles Creek’s absence.

“They’re not down because 18 points a game is crushed, they’re down in there because their teammate is crushed,” Crean said.

The coach also emphasized the need for a full team contribution.

“Everyone has to do more; that’s the bottom line,” Crean said.

As for the coach with a vision of restoring IU back to prominence, it’s about keeping spirits high and the energy present. Because now, the hole seems to be a little deeper for a team that has always responded to the challenge at hand.