Injury overshadows 48-point win

Maurice Creek stretcher

IU (6-6) got its easiest win of the season against overmatched Bryant on Monday night.

But what the team lost was even greater.

Despite a 90-42 victory against the winless Bulldogs (0-13), IU also lost freshman guard Maurice Creek, the Big Ten's leading freshman scorer, for the entire season due to a fractured knee sustained early in the second half.

Creek will have surgery on Tuesday in Indianapolis.

"When you lose your guys, you never get used to it," Crean said.

Click here for a full story on Creek's injury.

Prior to the injury, IU was cruising to its sixth victory - matching last season's win total - in a tuneup game for Big Ten season, which begins with a home game against Michigan on New Year's Eve.

Unlike its previous two winter break games, IU jumped out to an early lead and never relented, taking a 19-5 advantage nine minutes into the game, leading 45-17 at halftime and coasting to the 90-42 final score.

While the opponent was understandably weak - the Bulldogs were even missing their leading scorer, Cecil Gresham, due to injury - Crean said he was impressed with the way his team played.

"It was a great performance," IU coach Tom Crean said in a press conference that mainly focused on Creek's injury.

Crean noted IU held Bryant to a 25 percent shooting performance (15-for-60) and a 2-for-11 effort from the line. Meanwhile, IU shot a blistering 55 percent (32-for-58) from the field.

Freshman forward Christian Watford and sophomore guard Verdell Jones led IU with 15 points apiece. Senior guard Devan Dumes, freshman guard Jordan Hulls and sophomore forward Tom Pritchard also finished in double figures.

IU employed a three-quarter court press that dropped into a 2-3 zone for much of the game - a defense used in their previous game against Loyola when IU mounted a massive second-half comeback.

Jones said the defense will be an added element for the team in Big Ten season.

"It's necessary when the team tries to slow the ball down," Jones said.

Now, IU will look to its next opponent, Michigan, in the conference opener. Without Creek, Jones said everyone must step up.

"We preach to the young guys that this is a whole new season," Jones said.

However, Watford added that the team can't forget the past.

"We have to be more of a team and continue what we've been doing that got us here," Watford said.