The life of Henry Remak: “A magical journey”

Henry Remak, 92, may have died eight months ago, but it was hard to tell from looking at all the misty eyes of those who  filled the Whittenberger Auditorium for his memorial service Saturday.

Every seat in the auditorium was filled, leaving many standing in the back of the room while professors, former students and Remak’s family spoke. The service ended with a reception in the Frangipani Room of the Indiana Memorial Union.

Remak died in his Bloomington home off Maxwell Lane in February. He was a professor emeritus of comparative literature and Germanic and Western European Studies, according to a Feb. 24 Indiana Daily Student article.

Such a ceremony is uncommon, said Larry Lee, a former student of Remak.
“Take a look around, it’s not just the quantity of people, but their height and what he meant to this University,” Lee said.

Provost and Executive Vice President Karen Hanson said you can’t talk about IU’s history without telling a story of Henry Remak.

Speakers remembered Remak through tales about his quirkiness and light-hearted life as a professor.

Remak’s son, Ron Remak, spoke last of Henry Remak’s stirring life stories of kindness and humor that left many in tears.

The final moments of Henry Remak’s life were spent with his family, Ron Remak said, who then added some of the words his father said at the time: “I’m so glad that you all are here at the final part of my journey.”

While periodically breaking down into tears at the podium, Ron Remak tried to explain what it was like having Henry Remak as a father.

His long walks through campus, his way of sparking conversation with strangers and his love for family were all part of who he was, Ron Remak said.

Ron Remak gave the example of another moment that occurred with his father toward the end of his life.

“He pointed to his and Ingrid’s hearts and said in a beautiful German whisper, ‘There is nothing better than two hearts beating as one.’”