‘Boom’ explores scientific theories

There are so many things needed to prepare for a hot date. 

Circumstances of the play “Boom,” which runs through Nov. 15, at the John Waldron Arts Center, allowed the date to bring diapers, bourbon and tampons, which find more than one use.

In light of the College of Arts and Sciences Themester about evolution, diversity and change, the Cardinal Stage Company presented a play that bounces between the thoughts of a creator and a scientist.

“We just can’t get away from evolution,” Director Randy White said.

Mike Price, who played the role of Jules, said it is a comedy mocking the idea that a great creator pulls levers to control themes of science. He added that it’s hard to discern what the playwright’s intentions are about science.

Playwright Peter Sinn Nachtrieb unites Jules, who is a gay and virginal fish obsessed scientist, with a cynical fun-sucking young woman named Jo, who is played by Emily Goodson. The two meet through an online advertisement from craigslist to make “intensely significant coupling.”

But first, Jo has to faint a few times before it hits her that it is the end of the world.
As fish determine Jules’ scientific theory about a comet hitting Earth, the last remaining humans go on the endless blind date. 

In the bomb-shelter-meets-museum exhibit set, Jules and Jo misunderstand their date’s purpose. While Jo is trying to have sex with no strings attached and demands, “sex now!”, Jules is hoping to repopulate the universe. 

Then again, everyone has a different outlook of sex anyway, said audience member Melissa McReynolds. And blabber mouthed Jules can’t seem to remove his pants with his shoes still on his feet.

In the corner of the stage, Barbara played by Diane Kondrat, is on the drums. She is the conscience museum tour guide, similar to Jiminy Cricket, and is also the zap of suspense all rolled into one character.

Barbara interrupted the date several times to speak to the audience and say she “is not allowed to talk to.”

At one point, she popped through a trap door on stage to ask the audience, “Where is all the poop?” as the characters spend hundreds of days in the shelter.

“It’s a metaphor for evolution, just the fact that people don’t want the real story told,” said audience member Joni Mcgary. “So many people are afraid of facts and science.”