Seasonal flu shots now available

The IU Health Center is having its annual flu shot clinics this week and next, in a move health officials say will help hold off influenza on crowded college campuses.

“We want to make sure we take care of seasonal flu now,” IU Health Center Executive Director Hugh Jessop said. “Because of the likelihood of the H1N1 vaccine being distributed, we want to get one clinic out of the way and plan for the second one, which would be bigger in magnitude.”

Jessop cautioned that the shots are for the seasonal flu vaccine and will not protect against the H1N1 virus. But, he said, students should get the seasonal vaccine anyway.

“People think any old upper respiratory problem is the flu,” Jessop said. “And if you’ve ever had the real thing, it’s like getting hit by a truck. You won’t be at work for five to seven days.”

The Health Center will immunize students who have paid the health fee for $17.25. Students who have not paid the health fee can pay $21.25 for the vaccine.

The seasonal flu vaccine takes about 10 to 14 days to reach full effectiveness and is intended to protect those immunized against various forms of influenza through the flu season, which usually ends in March, Jessop said.

In addition to the Health Center clinic, Jessop said there will be flu shot clinics at the Kelley School of Business, the Indiana Memorial Union and several residence halls.

He added that users should check the Health Center Web site, www.healthcenter.indiana.edu/, for specific times. And the best part, Jessop said, is that students don’t even have to pay on the spot – a student ID is enough to charge the shot to a student’s bursar bill.

At the same time, the Health Center is preparing for the release of the H1N1 vaccine, which is expected sometime in October. Jessop said he is in the process of developing a plan to be prepared to give every IU student the vaccine.

The H1N1 vaccine will be free for students. The federal government will provide the vaccine for free, while the Health Center would cover costs such as personnel and medical supplies like band-aids.

Jessop said the latest he’d heard is that a one-stage vaccine for the H1N1 virus will be distributed in October and that it won’t conflict with the seasonal flu shot at all.