‘Othello’ travels to 1970s

If William Shakespeare walked into 1972 and saw heated Vietnam War protests, women’s rights struggles and the spawn of a sexual revolution, what do you think he would say? 

Nate Stanger, a freshman from the University of Michigan, said he imagined these circumstances when he decided to direct a rendition of Shakespeare’s “Othello: The Moor of Venice.”

The performance is 7 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Sept. 18 and 19 at Third Street Park stage. Admission is free, but donations are welcome.

Stanger also collaborated with his mother, Sheila Butler, to direct the play.

“Being one of Shakespeare’s most complex plays, ‘Othello’ displays how if you don’t control your emotions, they will shred you apart,” said Alphonse.

To suit the scene of 1972 and depict a time of human empowerment and social unrest, this version of “Othello” makes changes from the traditional Shakespearean plot, which usually includes men in control and imagery of 1603 Venice.

Although male roles originally surround the lead of Othello, played by Andy Alphonse, this cast is arranged so the key roles are women. 

The tables are turned as Othello is victimized by powerful female characters. 

Stephanie Courtier, who plays an originally male character, Brabantio, pointed out that “Shakespeare only used men in his performances and so he wouldn’t have a problem with today,” she said. “We’re just kicking it up a notch.”

Several stages and films have featured the plot of “Othello.” The themes explore racism, love, jealousy and betrayal – things that are still relevant today.

“We do not believe in standard Shakespeare, which is why this interpretation should stand out,” Butler said. “Talented actors and a change of style is moving this play amazingly well.”