sports women's soccer

No. 22 team beats Green Bay, 2-0, hits 8-1 on the year

The No. 22 Hoosiers stayed undefeated at home in facing the Green Bay Phoenix on Friday.

IU wrapped up its non-conference schedule with a 2-0 victory to put the team at 8-1 on the year.

“We’re going to be playing for something more significant,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “Big Ten games are huge when it comes down to the NCAA selection process.”

Freshman forward Orianica Velasquez Herrera scored both IU goals in the contest.
Herrera channeled her Wednesday performance against Butler in the 14th minute, as she once again used patience to gain offense.

When senior defender Christie Kotynski’s shot was blocked by a Phoenix defender, Herrera was waiting in point-blank range to send it to the back of the net for an early 1-0 lead.

Herrera later worked the left side of the box and was tripped up in the 61st minute. She received a free penalty kick and rifled it by the goalkeeper on the right side for her second goal of the game and fourth of the season for the 2-0 lead.

The defense did a sound job all 90 minutes, not allowing a single shot by the Green Bay offense.

The win on Friday concluded a tiresome schedule for the Hoosiers, as they played four games in eight days and will look forward to rest and preparation for the upcoming weekend.

“We didn’t play as well as we should have,” sophomore goalkeeper Lindsay Campbell said. “But we did what we needed to get a win. We just need rest because we were a little fatigued and beaten up at halftime.”

IU is making the most of its home field advantage this season. It is now 6-0 at home with 10 games remaining in the regular season schedule.

It will play two of those away games this coming weekend.

IU will face Northwestern at 7:30 p.m. on Friday in Evansville. They will turn around and travel to Wisconsin to face the Badgers on Sunday to wrap up the weekend.
Lyon said the two games will prepare IU for future contests.

“The speed and passion that’s in each conference game is likely what we could be facing in the national tournament,” he said.