world

Impressive impressions of Rouen

Though I have only begun to explore Rouen, the rich history that exists in this city is immediately evident.

Throughout the city are remnants of buildings from centuries ago.

The city incurred a great deal of damage during World War II, some of which still lingers and can be found on many historic buildings and landmarks.

In fact, restoring the Rouen Cathedral was only completed last year.

For the last four months, the Upper Normandy region (Haute-Normandie) hosted Le festival Normandie Impressionniste, a celebration across the region to honor Normandy’s significant influence on the Impressionist movement.

One focal figure in this movement is the father of Impressionism himself, Claude Monet, who lived and worked in Normandy for much of his life.

During his career, he painted 32 images of one of Rouen’s most recognizable landmarks, the Rouen Cathedral – or the “Cathedrale Notre-Dame de Rouen,” as it is known in France.

The high spires and gothic architecture from the 13th century are unlike anything I have ever seen in America.

The majestic beauty and history of the Normandy region are brilliantly represented by this impressive landmark.

This summer, as part of Le festival Normandie Impressionniste, the town put on a nightly light show in which Monet’s paintings of the cathedral were projected onto the cathedral itself, which stands about 300 feet tall and 200 feet wide.

The effect is dramatic, as the ornate detail of the cathedral’s stonework is showcased with colorful images from long ago.

The beautiful works of Monet, a reflection of the city of Rouen, were stunningly mirrored back onto the city itself.

Seeing the grand cathedral illuminated and towering before me was nothing short of inspiring.

It was as if his paintings were brought to life right before my eyes. 

In order to delve further into my education of Monet’s influence on Impressionism, some friends and I traveled to the nearby town of Giverny to visit his home and infamous gardens.

Upon seeing the gorgeous, lush gardens and tranquil lily ponds, it really is no wonder he was such an incredible artist.

I would imagine that living among such abundant natural one could not help but be inspired to create.

Visiting the quaint little town of Giverny and seeing the magnificent setting in which Monet created his art left an indelible impression on me.

It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

To see the subjects of his art in person gave me a whole new perspective on Monet, Normandy and the Impressionist movement they inspired.

Standing on the green Japanese bridge over the lily pond that I had seen so many times in his famous painting was like a surreal feeling of deja vu, leaving me awestruck by how brilliantly he had captured the beauty in his paintings.

Likewise, seeing the gargantuan cathedral light up with a multitude of colors against the dark night sky was truly awesome. 

That’s the thing about art – it reminds us of the beauty that inhabits our everyday lives.
We so often overlook it, but sometimes all it takes is an artist’s impression to show us the light.